City should fix streets sans horn blowing

I think it is awesome the city is finally doing what it should have been doing all along by fixing the roads in Walla Walla.

They were in a terrible state of neglect. And they are really getting after it, too, tearing up all the major roads in town all at the same time!

I am very happy that it’s getting done and I don’t wish to sound ungrateful but I am wondering how much money the city is squandering on all those ads placed in the U-B letting us all know it is “fixing the potholes!”

The money spent on all those banners planted into the ground with four-by-four posts exclaiming what we can all see and all this horn blowing could be better spent fixing more potholes in my opinion.

Just fix the roads and quit patting yourselves on the back. Results speak louder than banners and newspaper ads.

Mark Melahn

Comments

jkruchert 8 months, 2 weeks ago

My husband just brought that same exact thing up last night. They are very nice signs, but that had to be quite the chunk of cash since they are ALL over town. Seems kind of silly to me. It's very obvious by the massive construction all over town that they are fixing the roads.

grammy97 8 months, 2 weeks ago

And the advertising in the UB, not cheap! Our tax dollars at work, one more time.

downhillracer 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Could you folks find anything else to complain about? Some of us appreciate the extra visibility, information and details to allow us to plan our daily travels.

aurora 8 months, 2 weeks ago

We all appreciate the street repairs and being made aware of updated information; however, spot ads in the UB don't say anything for the most part; i.e., no relative info, etc. just HELLO PROGRESS GOODBYE POTHOLES! I think for the most part, the signage around town and the website is more than adequate information without spending money on ads!

ryno3019 8 months, 2 weeks ago

go to their website if you want updated info. signs don't say anything about that

aurora 8 months, 2 weeks ago

My point exactly so why waste the money on UB advertisements?

aurora 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the 'advertising' about the street repairs.

As you may recall, the voting public approved an increase in sales tax to fund these repairs. The ballot measure read follows and was approved by 3,919 YES votes to 2,473 NO votes on February 14, 2012.

The Walla Walla City Transportation Benefit District Board adopted Resolution TBD-2011-04 concerning a sales and use tax to fund transportation improvements. This proposition would authorize a sales and use tax of up to two tenths of one percent (0.002) to be collected from all taxable retail sales and uses within the district in accordance with RCW 82.14.0455 for a term of ten years for the purpose of paying the costs of transportation improvements identified in section 2 of the resolution. Should this proposition be approved?

Information regarding traffic diversions is appreciated and applauded; however, I believe the voting public deserves the major credit for the repair of the potholes since they are the ones who approved the tax to repair the streets!

RetiredinWW 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The cost of those signs and the advertising is minuscule when compared to the overall cost of the projects. Can you imagine the outcry if people were not made aware of what was underway?

I am very happy that the work is being done! The little bit of inconvenience due to the constuction will be well worth the benefits we will see this fall when construction is over! Sounds to me like some people don't have enough to complain or worry about.

downhillracer 8 months, 2 weeks ago

A voice of reason. Well stated, sir.

paco1234 8 months, 2 weeks ago

We all hope the construction will be over by fall! I really like when people complain and worry about local matters. It indicates vitality in our community. We can always filter the bad from the good, hopefully more good than bad! These road projects were suposed to take place 20 years ago. Like Mr. RetiredinWW, Walla Wallans had been more than patient. Let's keep this new vitality going, and keep responsible ones in check

clarkfamily89 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I applaud the city as well for getting on it but mostly the citizens that are paying for it. My household totally agrees what a waste of monies (tax payers monies) for the signage that is unnecessary and the adds.

downhillracer 8 months, 2 weeks ago

"Mostly the citizens that are paying for it."? And the rest is paid for by whom?

whitman 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm pleased to know what's going on. The gowallawalla.us site has clear information about the projects and I see a good use of my dollars. Construction sites always have signs explaining the costs. Our city took the dollars they could have spent on an ugly sign and made one that got noticed, backed up by a website. Nicely done!