Aviary needs community support

We’re on the verge of having our Pioneer Park Aviary closed forever. The birds will be sold and rehomed. The enclosures will be removed. A unique piece of our community will be lost.

Do you realize how rare it is to have a free-of-charge public aviary? To my knowledge, there are only about five aviaries such ours in the lower 48 states. Is that something we want to give up? I don’t think you want to give it up. I know I don’t.

So what do we do now? How do we keep it?

I will tell you how to keep this community gem. Purchase a friendship by visiting friendsofpioneerparkaviary.com/friendships/.

How does this help the Aviary? There is the obvious benefit, money, but more than that Friends of Pioneer Park Aviary need to be able to prove to the city there is a substantial number of people in the community committed to funding our Aviary on a monthly/yearly basis.

Our Aviary needs to be sustained and FoPPA has be able to prove to City Council it can be. When I explain to people why FoPPA needs friendships they almost always ask about our fundraisers.

Fundraisers are great! The community gets involved but it involves countless hours of work for FoPPA and volunteers they are able to recruit. Theses are hours we spend away from our families, and friends, we use our vacation time, we pay out of pocket for day care. This is not sustainable and it is exhausting for anyone to continue to do this type of work on a long-term, consistent basis. I urge you, work this into your budget.

If you are able to go to Starbucks twice a month, or out to lunch once a month, you can afford to contribute $10 a month to the Pioneer Park Aviary. If you want to keep our Aviary, be part of our solution.

This is a community problem and it is going to take the community to fix it. FoPPA has provided a solution, but it needs everyone’s help to make it a success. FoPPA cannot, nor should the community, expect it to do this on its own.

Alisha Cunha

Comments

Kevconpat 10 months, 3 weeks ago

The aviary was the first thing we noticed in this small town. We move here from Seattle with so many natural assets for the community; the Seattle Aquarium , Woodland Park Zoo; The Ballard Locks. We were so surprised and pleased Walla Walla had the 'aviary'. It is truly an asset worth saving! Every year we have worked hard on yard sales and at city hall to help save this small town accomplishment. More than an place to visit...this mostly safe place is a home for many beautiful animals that give our kids, ( young and old) a place to relax and enjoy small town values. Everyone who cares about our towns values could start right here. Please donate all you can. I will personally fight along with Mark and our friends to find a stop gap measure to ensure the life of the 'aviary'. It is a treasure Walla Walla needs!

ImJustSayin 10 months, 3 weeks ago

A winery needs to sponsor the aviary and set up shop there. A tasting room with an outdoor seating/viewing area of the birds would increase exposure. While at it, the city needs to get its nose out of that venture. Sell the land and birds to a private entity.

Kevconpat 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm liking this idea- without the city which shows little interest, really, there might just be a fighting chance.

barracuda 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Sell the birds... I am for it.... Sell the land? NO WAY.... Pioneer Park holds too much history for WW. This aviary needs more funding than we as citizens are willing to give it.... The people have said over and over.... Don't lay any more taxes on us! As far as a winery in a public park? I highly doubt it, too many implications there.... One winery making money for profit on or with city property? (birds) Even if it is for a great cause the tax auditors won't like it much. I assume the other wineries will like it much either.

ImJustSayin 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Settle down. I'm not for selling the entire park, just the small strip the Aviary sits on. Zone it as "commercial" and build the tasting room. Just an idea....better than anyone else has come up with.

barracuda 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Move the birds... No problem.... They need way more money than WW is willing to give them! Every few months (seems like weeks) we are reminded how broke the whole Aviary system is. We then hear a story intended to lay guilt on us to try to glean more money from our pockets. I see more improtant things to deal with then this Aviary. Privatize it... Sell the Birds.... But do not give away our public lands for a private business...........

ImJustSayin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I re-read the letter and not once was raising taxes mentioned. All about donations.

barracuda 10 months, 2 weeks ago

You are correct.... (for now)... . . But in my view and based on history... It is a small leap from asking (or guilting us) for money for a project to going full bore for a bond issue. .

We agree on this issue though, the birds are not getting the funds they need and deserve. But, I just feel there are higher things on the need list than the Aviary. It seems that every few months (seems more often) we hear of the funds drying up. So lets fix it.... and go private!

Kevconpat 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Private is good. There is a lot of DEEP pockets.....who wants to stand up for birds. Great for our town, our sponsors......Who's out there? People have worked hard with fundraising for several years. Step up for these beautiful, amazing creatures that deserve a modest life and bring our KIDS, young and older education and enjoyment!

barracuda 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Not many times have I had the chance to say " Kevconpat, I agree with your statement" ........... This is truly a great day........ Get private sponsors to pay for these birds... They need more money than us tax payers are willing to cough up.........