IRS only protecting taxpayers

I never thought I would ever defend the IRS, but I have to respond to the flap over the latest so-called “scandal.”

I’m sorry folks, but in this case the IRS was only doing its job. The organizations that were supposedly “targeted” were applying for 501 (c) (4) tax exempt status. The law says that this exemption is for “social welfare” organizations.

The designation cannot be applied to political organizations. Anybody who tries to tell you that the tea party is not primarily a political organization is either delusional or lying.

Any organization that spends millions of dollars trying to defeat the president and other Democratic candidates is a political organization pure and simple. It might believe it is best for the social welfare to run these folks out of office, but I don’t think that’s what officials had in mind when they came up with the 501 (c) (4) designation.

Get over it people. There is no scandal, there was no scandal. This whole debacle is politics. Period.

The Republicans pushing this thing are only trying to make the administration look bad for the 2014 and 2016 elections. The IRS is only trying to make sure that tea party organizations comply with the tax laws and pay their fair share of required taxes.

Denny Sedam

Comments

Truly unbelievable - you don't see the partisan efforts taken only on patriot or tea party designated apps for exemption? If you don't you must be neighbors to Bruce M and have weekly parties for spin your favorite subject.

downhillracer 1 year, 3 months ago

Not unbelievable at all. "Find the leaks" (unless we happen to be complicit). "Find the tax dodgers" (unless our favorite sources of non-identifable donors happen to be on the list). All this is as useless and casues nothing but distractions, much like the much-maligned Bengazhi affair. The current congress is being nothing but obstructionist.

Your pathetic - you have an Ambassador and three Navy Seals dead and you call that a distraction? I can tell your a true Patriot - NOT! When the entirety of this Administration states "I don't know" who is supposedly running this country? It most certainly needs some severe investigations.

downhillracer 1 year, 3 months ago

Even more sad is the state of our education system. It's "you're".

By the way, do you always consider attacks on US embassies a sign that an administration’s foreign policy is blowing up in our faces? For instance, if if the US embassy in Athens, Greece, was attacked in 2007, would that have been an indictment of George W. Bush’s foreign policy? What about if the US embassy in Serbia was burned down early in 2008? If the US embassy in Sanaa, Yemen, were attacked in September 2008? If the US consulate in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, was attacked in 2004? What if thousands of anti-American Iraqis were regularly demonstrating and even shelling the Green Zone in Baghdad where the US embassy is, in 2008? Did all that mean that Bush’s foreign policy, the most recent foreign policy outing of the Republican Party, blew up in our faces, according to the Teapublicans? Hypocrites.

I don't need a spelling or grammar lesson - how many if's do you use in sequence? Now does it mean that in 2016 the faults of this administration are still going to be blamed on GW Bush since the Democrats (Socialist - Marxist - Communist) have been in control since 2007. How many bombings and lives lost during Bill (the intern (cigar) trainer) Clinton was in office? You should really find a new line and just to clarify I'm a conservative and I despise ignorant Progressive Liberals that don't have a clue on what they are talking about much less make any sense while they are null and void of domestic and foreign policies being destroyed. You have blown hypocrisy right out of the English language! For instance we still lost an Ambassador and three Navy Seals that you just bypass to blame GW Bush!

PearlY 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope that you're right that the current Congress is being obstructionist. Obstructing bad policy is exactly what Congress should do; I just wish they would have done it more and better over the last four years.

bj84711 1 year, 3 months ago

This administration doesn't need help looking bad, it does a great job on its own!!!

PearlY 1 year, 3 months ago

Your argument would SOUND good if)

Liberal 501(c)(4) groups were being targeted as well - which they were not;

and

501(c)(4) groups were not allowed to be 'political" - which they are. They are not allowed to directly or indirectly fund candidates but they can and do fund ad and organizing campaigns around public issues, including candidates' ideas.

Probably the most active and richest 501(c)(4) in the U.S. is Organizing for America, the "community organizing" arm of the Democratic National Committee, that routinely spends millions supporting Obama's political agenda. Think they were targeted? Not a chance.

There's a good chance, in fact, that you got the talking points in your letter directly from an email from Organizing for America or the Washington State branch of it.

MyFamNews 1 year, 3 months ago

The fact is only one group subject to scrutiny was denied 501(c) status and it was a liberal group. All of the 'conservative' groups were approved. I don't see the problem, since it is not required that any group apply. The application is for the benefit of the group, so they can take tax deductible contributions. In requesting that status, they are asking for taxpayer subsidies and should not be involved in any particular political activity i.e. promoting a candidate or party. Just my opinion, rules should be changed and/or clarified.

PearlY 1 year, 3 months ago

You are incorrect. Contributions to 501(c)(4) organizations are NOT tax deductible. (501(c)(3) orgs are different.) And while they are not supposed to promote any specific candidate or party, they ARE allowed to engage in issue advocacy.

Not all of the conservative groups were approved, and many were stalled for as much as two years, during which time they were unable to advocate for the issues of concern to them, while their opponents (liberal groups) were spending millions on issue advocacy from the liberal perspective.

If you don't see the problem with using the IRS to silence your political opponents, your liberal blinders may be getting in the way.

downhillracer 1 year, 3 months ago

No one was trying to "silence" anyone or any group. To believe such reveals your adherence to the Glenn Beck School of Wackadoodle Conspiracies.

You know Bruce I would hate to disillusion your fragile mind but, there are a few of us that are able to read, comprehend, analyze and digest editorials from different media outlets and make up our own minds for a solution. We don't need the 8am talking points to be broadcast so we know what to say for the rest of the day. Maybe somebody with your tunnel vision mindset should check this out for future reference. It can be rather enlightening.

PearlY 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't listen to Glenn Beck. (Or any other talk shows. Too much shouting.) If you do, then you've got the inside track on knowing what his School teaches.

What position do you hold in the Obama Administration that gives you the certain knowledge of what every member thereof was trying to do or what all their motives were?

Did you miss the fact that the IRS has ADMITTED they targeted groups based on 'conservative' trigger words? Granted it is possible numerous agents at various ranks were simply engaged in individual schemes of harassment that coincidentally targeted conservative groups, but I'm not sure how that is better than believing they were acting in concert.

barracuda 1 year, 3 months ago

I have a question? Is the inspector General wrong too? It doesnt seem that the IRS is very honest. http://union-bulletin.com/news/2013/j...

"Rep. Sander Levin, said it was time to correct the IRS’s problems"

By the way... He is a DEMOCRAT!!!! . . All this is during Obama's SECOND term.... Bush was far from perfect but NO ONE has been able to tie this to BUSH! .

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

Dennis, let these tea party organizations continue to pretend they are social welfare organizations ( community organizers?) and continue to cheat "the government of the people" out of our tax money. The political strategy consist in loosing up as much rope as they want now, so to make it easier to hang them up in a few months from now, just before the next election. To use tax exemption status when in fact they use the money for political purposes is a federal crime! Yes my friends, "the IRS is a problem"... for now...and the republicans are buying it!

If you still see patients (God forbid) I have one suggestion to all of them - find a qualified doctor and get a second opinion!

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

Who the __ are you to qualify me as a doctor? My qualifications come from my peers, my patients satisfaction surveys, my record as a military and VA doctor, my boards and my evidence based National Data Bank. My credentials are impecable and, as we speak I've been credentialed in more than 25 hospitals in 8 states. Right now I'm at the VA in Fayetteville, Arkansas in charge of the inpatient unit, not once but twice, still serving my veterans after my twice retirement 7 years ago. Your comments are inapropriate, and your intrusion into my doctor-patient relationship is utterly disgusting, gratuitous and uncalled for. Your sneaky way of grabbing and opportunity to take a cheap, ad hominem, low punch is indicative of the low level you select for your discurse. You have demonstrated that, indeed you feel quite comfortable down there. I ain't going there, my friend. Mr. namvet you're very, very far from being my peer! How far? Just look up! After this one, your very unpleasant posting, you don't deserve my response, ever!

carcrazy 1 year, 3 months ago

It's obvious that you think you are very special paco. Now take a step back and look at what you just wrote. Look at it from the perspective of a psychiatrist observing his client. Tell me what you see. Maybe you could have a colleague there look at this conversation and give you a synopsis of the nature of your responses. I would be curious to hear what they would say. I'm not attacking you or being snarky, it just appears to me that your responses on here are overly egocentric.

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

Well, if you want to call self respect and dignity as "special" then I'm special. I (like all Physicians) don't call my patients "clients", that is why I don't work at " outclient" or" inclient" units. A good dose of narcissism ( or egocentrism) backed up by indisputable, solid credentials is very healthy indeed, and I certainly enjoy my "overly" egocentrism. So thank you very much for the compliment! My collegue believes that we psychiatrist should end the day by closing the patients charts. After this solem event our behavior in society includes participation in community activities expecting respect regardless our political persuation. Personal attacks in any media should be vigorously rejected and confronted following the rules of a civil society, not the rules and decor of my private proffesional office. What on earth I'm doing giving you explanations? Well, there you have it! After all, my narcissism drives me to enjoy this, once in a while. I don't always eat sushi, but when I do I catch my own piranhas...with my bare hands! Keep civil my friend!

MyFamNews 1 year, 3 months ago

This comment is an example of your attitude. It is personal, derogatory and unnecessary and offers absolutely nothing to the conversation.

carcrazy 1 year, 3 months ago

Who was this comment directed to?

barracuda 1 year, 3 months ago

My, how time flies...... It just seemed like yesterday that Paco offered to have his lawyer "send me a letter"...... Careful Namvet60.....

Thank you carcrazy and barracuda - I don't believe I need to expound anymore ...............................

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

I thought we've "litigated" this in my private e-mail to you. As I said then, you're a nice person. Barracuda is not exactly faithfull to your persona, it only intimidates nice, shy Walla Wallans. Piranhas are smaller but more voracious and rabid. You're certainly not a piranha either. But when your "cojones" flare up you have the tendency to impulsively make physical threats which are not acceptable in a civil society. Moreover your childish bravado can get your stinking...side of you in legal problems. Keep civil my friend!

paco - I just have one question? Who died and made you think that you became the Almighty Messiah? Forget it!

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

My above posting is in response to the "barracuda" one.

barracuda 1 year, 3 months ago

I have wrote, re-wrote and re-wrote a reply to you Doc.... but in the end, it's just not worth stench of any more argument! It seems to me, there is just too much delight in making us feel inferior........... But, it is humorous to see your attempt at dissecting my "moniker", and one thing is VERY clear, you've clearly thought about it longer than I ever have! Thanks for your humor, you've made it better than the comic page!

chicoli 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh, no, barracuda, you guys are very far from being inferior. You're very clever in hijacking patriotism, morality, the constitution, Jesus, an even God, cloak yourselves with the American flag and jump on the stalions of righteousness to bash good, decent American Liberals. Such bullying arrogance ( from just a few of local conservatives) has found its match. An intelectual fight is always welcomed, and for some of us is like having breakfast and the daily holy communion in tandem. On the other hand, personal attacks cross the line of fairness and civility.

Did I miss something barracuda? I have yet to run across a good, decent (American) Liberal! The only ones I read about and see is the Progressives that if you don't follow in there bloody footsteps you are a bullying conservative. Go figure? I'm really referring to the Benghazi cover-up and the continuing scandals involving the White House that these Liberals are trying to avoid. They are on a downhill run and no amount of blaming Bush will bring them out of it.

MyFamNews 1 year, 3 months ago

namvet; Your attitude is a huge roadblock to an intelligent conversation and sharing of views. Your comments are rude and abusive and lend nothing to the discussion, yet you accuse others of bullying. LOL

famnews - I would imagine if you only read my posts one would think that they lean to brow-beating but if you read the previous posts to my posts I would say they are responses. If you don't like those options then contribute it to the First Amendment. When this fine country is being driven into a status of a third world country I get a little irritated! Ya think?

downhillracer 1 year, 3 months ago

Do you really think you convince anyone as to the legitimacy of your positions when you rant and rave like a psychotic Alex Jones? There is a big difference in foaming-at-the-mouth about the 1st Amendment, and actually working towards progress in a cooperative manner.

dhr - I can relate that you are presenting legitimate facts by comparing posters to people I have to get into Bing and see who you are referring to. Now if you were to post some sites with a reliable source such as PearlY (sorry PearlY - the devil made me do it) then your legitimacy might hold water. Until then your dam has a severe leak in it! I'm trying to be as polite as possible.

PearlY 1 year, 3 months ago

Gentlemen, I commend to you the letter by which Winston Churchill notified the Japanese of the U.K.'s declaration of war against it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_declaration_of_war_on_Japan_(1941)

When he was later criticized for its highly polite tone (it closed, "your obedient servant") he said, "But after all when you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Surely on these disputes, no one is even at the point of needing to kill anyone, so it should be much easier to be polite, shouldn't it?