Fire razes large shed

A large shed owned by Joe Hamada burned Tuesday off Woodland Avenue.

A large shed owned by Joe Hamada burned Tuesday off Woodland Avenue. Photo courtesy of David Cochran

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA β€” A fire that destroyed a storage shed near 552 Woodland Ave. on Tuesday afternoon was likely caused by an electrical problem, according officials.

The blaze was reported at roughly 3:27 p.m. The large shed owned by Joe Hamada was fully engulfed when fire crews arrived.

Walla Walla Fire Chief Bob Yancey said the exact cause of the fire may never be known but said investigators suspect an electrical problem.

Yancey also said nearby neighbors reported hearing two explosions, caused by two transformers that blew when a power pole near the burning shed caught fire.

The estimated cost of the building is $10,000, according to Yancey.

Investigators have not established a value of the contents,which included planting pots and some machinery.

β€œIt was all contained to that building,” Yancey said.

Yancey said crews also used a public works backhoe to put out the fire.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in