Port of Walla Walla commissioners are Mike Fredrickson, Ron Dunning and Paul Schneidmiller. With all present Thursday, the commission:
• SALES TAX FUNDS: Voted to amend some principle guidelines for use of the nine-tenths economic development sales tax funds. The biggest change is that smaller communities, such as Waitsburg and Prescott will have to match funds 50 percent, not the previous 100 percent. Unanimous.
• CHALLENGE GRANT PROGRAM: Heard a presentation on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Challenge Grant Program. The program could be a solution for maintenance and ownership of Cargill Pond, the Corps-owned pond at the Port’s Burbank property.
• AVIATION RAMP AND AIR SERVICE: Received reports on construction rehabilitation of the aviation ramp, commercial air service marketing and passenger enplanement numbers.
• INSURANCE RENEWALS: Received an update from insurance representative Mike Johnson from agency Hugh Wood on renewals for Port and airport insurance.
• COMMERCIAL KITCHEN: Agreed to move forward with a commercial kitchen concept at the veterans medical center. The Port will continue to research and see if there’s demand for a commercial kitchen and, if so, what kind of lease arrangement can be made with the Veterans Administration.
• FACEBOOK PRESENTATION: Received an update from a staff intern on the Port’s Facebook page and its postings and adopted a resolution on governing policy for social media. Unanimous.