Cyclist hit by vehicle

WALLA WALLA — A 51-year-old man was taken to a local hospital after being struck by a motorist in the intersection of Wilbur Avenue and Pleasant Street on Tuesday evening.

According to police reports, Dale Bouta was riding his bicycle west on Pleasant Street when driver David Elmore, 43, traveling south on Wilbur Avenue, ran a stop sign and struck Bouta with his Kia Rio. Witnesses, who estimated the Kia was traveling at about 45 mph, told police Bouta was thrown across the street as a result of the impact.

Bouta reportedly told police later at the hospital he had suffered a collapsed lung, broken ribs and other injuries, including a fractured pelvis.

Elmore was charged with investigation of reckless driving, failure to stop and speeding.

Comments

namvet60 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Just from observing that's normal driving habits around Walla Walla.

Bigdog 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I surely agree with you my man!

oldguyonabike 9 months, 3 weeks ago

The pedestrian was on a bicycle?

ImJustSayin 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It's the UB... just go with it ;)

namvet60 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I was just indicating that unless if your in a tank you better beware whether your walking or bicycling.

mytwocents 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Walla walla drivers are the most inconsiderate rude and oblivious drivers that I have ever seen.I have never seen so many drivers who feel that they are beyond the law as far as cell phones, Road Rules,and stop signs and pedestrians and bicyclists.I will be selling my scooter because I am afraid to ride on these roads people just do not pay attention and I do not want to lose my life because someone can't put their cell phone down, or pay attention to stop signs.

Bigdog 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I am really amazed that more pedestrians and bicyclists do not get hit and killed in Wall Walla. The intersection of Wilbur and Pleasant has had numerous accidents – there needs to be a STOP LIGHT there! The section of Wilbur Avenue from Alder to Bryant has a speed limit of 25 MPH. Cars travel this stretch of road night and day at an average speed of 40 – 80 MPH. Nobody is ever going 25! I have pleaded with law enforcement to patrol and issue citations in this area – they will not. They could write tickets all day long and put money in their coffers than they would know what to do with. Mark my words – there are many children and pets in this area and someone will end up dying – not to mention the poor individual who may be attempting to back out of a driveway when these cars come racing down the street. I do not understand…at one time you were expected to abide by the speed limit in town – NOW anything goes. There is not a police officer in sight anywhere?

oldguyonabike 9 months, 3 weeks ago

The intersection of Wilbur and Pleasant is scheduled for rebuilding in the spring of 2014. There will be a 4-way stop installed which is significantly cheaper than a signal and should have a traffic calming effect.

VinoTinto 9 months, 3 weeks ago

There are some really good posts here. I have no idea why there are so many aggressive and rude drivers in a town with so many friendly people. It's not like it takes very long to get from point A to point B.

I agree with Big Dog ... ticket, ticket, ticket and use the money to fix the roads!

barracuda 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Great post.... Drop the phones and slow down! Here is an idea----- "ANY" ticket (speed, stop sign, failure to yield etc.) that is issued to a driver when he is on the phone, the fines should be mandatory doubled! And as posted above..... All fines should go to road repair.

oldguyonabike 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I think traffic tickets go to pay for the court system, not roads. But I am still in favor of tickets for aggressive drivers and scofflaw cyclists who refuse to ride properly.

Of course you can only ride a bike properly if the roads are built properly.