Think again before voting on bond issues

It is hard to believe more than 60 percent of College Place voters realized they were voting for a 30 percent increase in their property tax when they voted for the school and street bonds.

The new 2013 tax billing reflects this huge increase with no change in assessed value involved. Surely there is a more transparent way of advising the public what the increase in tax rate will do to taxes when a bond proposal is presented.

Don Rosenbaum

College Place

Comments

People do not relate to percentages until it hits there wallets and then up jumps the devil.

ImJustSayin 1 year, 7 months ago

But according to Mr. Potts, it's a priviledge to pay those extra high taxes.

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

It will probably be a pretty awesome school in College Place that will pay dividends for them for years to come, but there is no question that it is an expensive undertaking for such a small town.

By comparison, if the Wa-Hi bond were to have passed last month, we would have gotten essentially a new high school FIVE TIMES the size of the CP high school, and each household would have had to pay ONE-QUARTER of the cost.

That's just math.

The Wa-Hi bond was a really good deal. The next one will be too, and should be approved. Mr. Potts is correct that it would absolutely be a privilege to provide that for the next generation of Wa-Hi students.

ImJustSayin 1 year, 7 months ago

No, he said it was a priviledge to pay taxes. Stop your liberal spin

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, it is a privilege to pay the taxes that would fix Wa-Hi for many years and many students to come. Taxes are implied by the word "provide." As a community, paying taxes is how we accomplish things like building schools.

I'm not sure what makes this "liberal spin." Most of my conservative friends support using their taxes to improve schools, as do my liberal friends. You don't have to be partisan to recognize the numerous needs at Wa-Hi and the relatively low cost per household to get the job done. I'll say it again: it's 5 times the size of CP's new high school for 1/4 of the per household cost.

ImJustSayin 1 year, 7 months ago

It's "liberal" in that your ilk want to spend, spend, spend.....when the source of that funding is tapped out. Gas taxes, property taxes, sales taxes.....they're a burden to many in this community. But you could care less as long as you get your way.

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

I used "your ilk" in a post a month ago to namvet, so I guess we're even. :)

I am for the steady support of schools -- not "spend, spend, spend," nor am I for "neglect, neglect, neglect." One bond just got paid off. Another gets paid off in a few years. We need to keep on top of our school projects or we will find ourselves in a real whole. It seems to me that is a reasonable approach. It's been 50 years for Wa-Hi. No other comparable district in this region has gone more than 30 years without remodeling or rebuilding their high schools.

You may disagree with me on this, but it isn't exactly rational to accuse me of wanting to "spend, spend, spend" when it's been 50 years.

barracuda 1 year, 7 months ago

Fatherof5....... Really? It may be the best deal in the NW! But most of the no voters were voting no because it was too much at this time.... So, comparing this to CP is not a valid point.... Hmmmm, Where have I have heard that said before?

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I recall saying before was that comparing CP to WW was not a favorable comparison for your side of the argument. CP is paying way more per household for far few students. Bringing up CP is a great illustration for what a good deal the Wa-Hi bond would be.

It is rather obvious that a select few are not versed on the difference between privilege and obligation.

The privileged feel that the rest of the populace is obligated to support there whims and expect them to feel privileged about it!

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

Remodeling your local high school after 50 years is not a "whim." "Whims" do exist in the world of bonds and politics, but the Wa-Hi bond is not one of them.

I only feel the "rest of the populace is obligated" to pay for whatever the rest of the populace approves. If the next bond passes, you don't have to feel privileged to pay for it. You may feel however you like. I will feel privileged to pay my share when the time comes. It doesn't always happen this way, but ideally, when we make sacrifices for the benefit of others, we do so willingly and with a glad heart.