Clyde W. Smith

1915 - 2013


In Loving Memory

Clyde W. Smith

March 25, 1915 – April 28, 2013

Clyde W. Smith, 98, of College Place, WA, passed away peacefully

at the home of his niece, on Sunday, April 28, 2013.

He was born March 25, 1915 in Bellingham, WA, the oldest of ten

children born to Ray and Mabel (Moody) Smith. He was the first in

the family to leave the homestead in Alaska to come to the Lower 48 to

attend school at Auburn Adventist Academy in Washington. He made

the trip down on a fishing ship, working to earn money for school.

Clyde worked in Alaska during the summers, and was an accomplished

commercial salmon fisherman, trapper, dog teamer,

and crew member alongside his brothers in their fishing boats.

Years later, Clyde was captain of his own boats, the Betty J and the

Sea Breeze in Bristol Bay. His crew through the years consisted of

his son Roger, daughter Val, daughter-in-law Connie, and countless

other relatives and friends. He continued to fish even after

retiring from school work; his last year being in 1993.

His high school education was completed at Auburn Academy

in 1935. He continued his education at Walla Walla University,

where he took accounting, and earned a teaching certificate.

Winifred Wheatley, a classmate of Clyde’s at the academy, became

his wife in 1937. He began his career as a business manager

and teacher in 1941 at Granger Academy. He then went on

to Columbia Academy in Battle Ground, WA; Milo Academy in

Days Creek, OR; Mt. Ellis Academy in Bozeman, MT; and his

final duties were as business manager and treasurer for Auburn

Adventist Academy in Auburn, WA. He also taught history and

typing while at Auburn.

Clyde and Winifred worked in Christian education, serving

the Seventh-day Adventist church at the secondary school level

for 37 1/2 years.

Through the years Clyde has made young people a priority.

He was an avid outdoorsman, and led countless youth on hiking

trips, survival camping, and skiing excursions. He was an experienced

mountain climber. He climbed Mount Rainier at least six

times, as well as many other peaks throughout the Northwest,

including Mount Hood, Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams, Glacier

Peak, Mount Washington, Grand Teton, Mount Shasta, and

many others.

Clyde continued helping people even into his retirement. He

served his church as treasurer for many years. He enjoyed his

“hobby” of cutting firewood, and was always on the lookout for

any tree that was down and firewood worthy. He often surprised

people in need with a load of seasoned wood in the fall. He was

a true philanthropist, and helped many students pay for their

Christian education.

In the mid 1990s, Clyde and Winnie moved to Big Sky country

to the town of Big Timber, MT. Not content to sit around

and grow old, Clyde got busy seeking out what he could do for

the community. He became an active member of the local Lions

Club, and was also a volunteer in cleaning up and maintaining

a small roadside park along the Boulder River. This was Winnie’s

favorite project, because she could keep an eye on him from

their house across the river. Clyde’s garage was a wonderful wood

working shop, and he enjoyed creating specially designed doll

houses, complete with shake roofs. Many of these were donated

to hospital pediatric units for the enjoyment of the recovering

children. Many little girls were fortunate to be given these special

houses as well, completely furnished with furniture created by


Skiing was also one of Clyde’s passions. He skied much longer

than most, and took advantage of the “free” lift tickets because he

was so old. At 92, one of his last skiing trips was to Bridger Bowl

near Bozeman, MT, where he enjoyed skiing with his son, granddaughter,

and grandson-in-law.

After his dear wife of 72 years passed away in Big Timber,

Clyde moved to College Place, WA, to be under the tender care of

his niece, Margaret Duhart. He had a team of caregivers, including

Larisa Duhart, Rebecca Morse, and Bill and Evelyn Smith.

His friend, Eldon Stratton, took him to many of the Walla Walla

Sweets home games. Margaret shared these words about his life

      1. “He was a good leader. Left plenty of paths in the woods and

up mountains. Many young people have looked up to him over

the years, and he has lifted many and pointed them to their true

potential. Loving father to Val, Roger, Kay and doting grandfather

to Kim and besotted great-grandfather to Oliver. Let it be

said that he loved all his family near and far, kept the faith, and

worshiped God.”

He is survived by his son Roger (Connie) Smith of Eau Claire,

MI; two daughters, Valerie Emmerson of Big Timber, MT, and

Kay (Tom) Smith-Hurt of Auburn, WA; one granddaughter,

Kimberly (James) Shumaker of Greeneville, TN; and one greatgrandson,

Oliver Shumaker of Greeneville, TN. He was preceded

in death by a daughter, Gloria Jean, and his wife, Winifred

(Wheatley) Smith.

A celebration of life service will be held at 11:00 a.m. Monday,

May 27, 2013 in the Chapel of the College Place Village Church

of Seventh-day Adventists, 715 SE 12th Street, College Place,

WA. Visitation with the family will begin at 10:00 a.m. Inurnment

will be at a later date in Aleknagik, AK.

Memorials may be made to Mt. Ellis Academy, Worthy Student

Fund, through Mountain View-Colonial DeWitt, 1551 Dalles

Military Road, Walla Walla, WA 99362.

Friends may write memories and sign the online guestbook at


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in