Bigotry can't be allowed in senator's office

I have been watching the good people of Walla Walla to see if anyone would actually call out Sen. Hewitt’s actions for what they are — a bigoted attempt, to bring discrimination back. Oh, it never really left, as we see it lives on in the hearts of men (and women)!

Sen. Hewitt told us that he had “counseled” his staffer. First of all, this type of bigotry can not be allowed in the office of our senator. I contend that it is a cancer, that if allowed to exist, will continue to grow.

I also would submit that for this individual to even consider this type of reply, he must have felt quite comfortable, saying things like this, around the office water cooler. As Sen. Hewitt’s constituent, I demand that this staffer be removed.

Then there is the proposed legislation to would allow open discrimination against everyone we might have religious or philosophical differences. Sen. Hewitt said he should have read it, a little closer. Hogwash! He cosponsored the bill! He obviously has the opinion we should be allowed to openly discriminate against anyone who we have religious or philosophical differences. I suspect, that is also another way to write color.

Then, in a recent Sunday paper, one of our proud citizens says she supports Sen. Hewitt because she has “family values.” Others have talked about our great Christian nation. What’s that all about?

My “family values” come from the Bible ... you know the book, the one that says, “I was a stranger and you took me in.” No place in this book of family values does it say the main character ever discriminated for any reason! No place does it say that he treated anyone (except the money lenders) with anything other than kindness, love, tolerance and respect, even those that would put Him to death!

I would call on Sen. Hewitt to do the right thing. This staffer must be dismissed, and a complete explanation of his position on religious and philosophical differences must be forth coming!

Bruce McCutcheon

Comments

Igor 1 year, 4 months ago

Help! The paranoids are after me!

PearlY 1 year, 4 months ago

Bruce, do you really not get the irony of demanding that someone be discriminated against in his employment (that he be fired) because of the philosophical difference you have with him?

Obviously, people who don't agree with you on gay marriage should be restricted from any employment. Aside from poverty and lack of employment, what else do you propose for them - re-education camps?

Bruce - maybe you should go back and revisit the values that you learned from the Bible and try a little harder to comprehend instead of degrade individuals for their beliefs.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

namvet, perhaps you should revisit the concept of seperation of church and state.

downhillracer - maybe you should take the post as written - consequently as you are growing up you develop morals and values that direct your travels in life is which I was referring to. Just because a person is elected does not mean that everything goes out the window. You carry those morals and values with you through life. Maybe you enjoy the antics of Rep Walsh changing her mind in mid stream just because of family. Does that fit your standards better? I don't believe this was a matter of Church and State it was sticking to his personal beliefs that he was elected on.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

It does apply inasmuch the Washington State law is perfectly clear, regardless of an individuals personal belief or opinions. Discrimination is not legally permissive in the open market place or at locations of our civil discourse. Justification of intolerance because of personal beliefs or opinion are not, and will not be codified.

PearlY 1 year, 4 months ago

"Discrimination is not legally permissive in the open market place . . . ? What does that mean? That customers can't discriminate in their shopping choices? When did THAT law pass?

. . . at locations of our civil discourse." What does that mean? That anyone who disapproves of gay marriage may express that view only within the walls of his/her own home? When did THAT law pass?

Just because a law is "perfectly clear" doesn't mean that it can't be questioned, amended or challenged. That's exactly what Sen. Hewitt is trying to do: amend the law to make it less intrusive and dictatorial to business owners.

There's a saying, incorrectly attributed to Voltaire, that this issue calls to mind: "I detest what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." What he did say is less commonly quoted, but is just as sound: "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

These used to be common American values, summed up by the saying, "Live and let live." We didn't always live up to those values, but we believed in them. Now, in the pursuit of a false tolerance, we're destroying the foundation for a real one.

So if a patron is belligerent and abusive in a place of business and the proprietor asks that patron to leave or have them ejected I suppose in your dubious eyes that is also discrimination? Open market does not mean catering to all of the human entrails that scatter the earth.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

More strawman arguments that are not only distractions to the conversation, but meaningless to the argument. If a customer is polite and presentable, that is all that should matter.

It's rather obvious from your previous posts to follow up with this last one is making you sound with a touch of remorse as you should.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

My comment suggests nothing of the sort. If you wish to keep preaching in futile attempts to pass judgement and sway opinion, please, proceed.

Not to worry - I will correct anyone's blatant exaggerations.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

Great - when discussing legal issues may I suggest we do so with facts, not 'opinions'. Attempting to impose your 'correctness' is quite the reach, but thanks anyway.

That would be very worthwhile on your part. Leave out the imaginary laws that you seem to quote unless if you live in a different state than I do. Then it might be necessary to indicate which state laws you are referring to.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

That would be RCW 49.60.030. But I'm done trying to have a reasonable discussion with someone so narrow-minded, irrational and self-serving, willfully ignorant of the facts.

You are right to a certain point being - it is tough to debate an individual standing on an ideology based talking points. As far as your previous description you beat me to the punch. It describes your posts to a tee. So have fun in your progressive liberal mind?

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

Must you always resort to such ugly metaphors? Yeah, I guess that's just your style. Crude and lewd. Right on, it's you're right. Happy though most people have differences without such trash talk.

Really! First you degrade my person and then you discriminate against my philosophical language. You must be a member of a select group that only passes out dicriminating posts but sees everything as being discriminating against you. You should be very careful because that consistently leads to severe paranoia.

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

Exactly......what I expect you to say. Like I always say- you have the right since this is a public forum. Doesn't bother me at all. Say what you will. I do!

And you proved my point. Also I may be a little crude, But Lewd, Dude you don't have a clue!

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

You have neither proven any "point", nor expressed yourself in a meaningful way as to sway anyones perspective on this issue. It's illegal to discriminate - period.

dhr - your bigotry comes from your ignorance. And they say that ignorance is bliss so you must laugh yourself right out of your shoes.

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

Please explain how agreement with compliance of existing anti-discrimination law is 'bigotry"? Because I disagree (as do the majority and legislature) that exemptions from this law be allowed based on philosophical or religious grounds? You expect to be a protected class and be allowed to re-inforce hate based on your faith?

chicoli 1 year, 4 months ago

Voltaire also said..." the people who live in the state of Washington and who own businesses providing customer services to the community at large shall not discriminate againts gays or lesbians, even in instances when they themselves could be closseted princesses in denial of their own true sexuality" ...Wait, I think the one who said that was...forget it!

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

You go! Sometimes hitting them in their venerable 'place' is just perfect.

Yep - you two should occupy the same headband.

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

Really? Grow up namvet60......you're so predictable. Boring!

Why not drop the superior act - I have forgotten more than you will ever retain and if I need mentoring I will see my pastor. I might be boring but you are pathetic!

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

Now, there you go again. I'm shocked you think I'm superior; I think I'm just an average guy with my freely thought out opinions. Look- we often disagree but there is room for everyone's opines here. Relax, bud. BTW, think I'm pathetic, feel free too. I think going to see your Pastor would be a wise idea. Perhaps he will shine light on you that this is The USA and it is made up of many peoples. Can't hurt.

barracuda 1 year, 4 months ago

Better than the comic page..........

Kevconpat 1 year, 4 months ago

Comics are for kids and....... Childish adults. Or high Adults! This is about life,... Mine, Yours, everyone's. Geeeeeez. Sorry to remind you. You lost 54%, to 46%; Wa. state voted for marriage equality. They also vote 56% for legal Pot with limits. I think WA. State is ahead of you......... guy's, unless you support Pot for adult citizens! Maybe you do. Marriage equality, sorry lacking. Gay people are pretty cool too, except the annoying ones. Like some Straight People. Get a Life! Grow up...............Sigh.

WOW - you treat 8 percentage points like this administration treats the National debt! Well it's only 17 Trillion .........................

downhillracer 1 year, 4 months ago

Doesn't matter if it's 1%. It's still a majority. Comparison of a victory margin percentage to a financial value is, well, not surprising considering the source.