Lincoln High principal's resignation announced

WALLA WALLA — Lincoln High School Principal Jim Sporleder, who has been on medical leave since the beginning of the school year, is resigning his position effective at the end of the school year due to a non-life threatening medical condition, according to a Walla Walla School District news release.

Sporleder will remain on medical leave until June 30, 2014, according to the release.

Interim Principal Marci Knauft will continue to serve as the acting principal for the remainder of the 2013-14 school year, the release said, and the district will conduct a principal selection process to hire a permanent principal for next school year.

Sporleder has worked for Walla Walla Public Schools for 28 years, according to the district. He began his tenure in the district in 1986 as a special education teacher at Garrison Middle School. He spent three years as Garrison's assistant principal and 10 years as the school's principal. Sporleder was named the principal of Lincoln High School in 2007.

Comments

namvet60 5 months ago

He will remain on medical leave for the rest of the school year and that will accomplish (what) for the school system?

Maybe add more tenure for his retirement? Unbelievable!

MyFamNews 4 months, 3 weeks ago

namvet: You are by far the most irritatingly negative person who ever posted on this site. What you don't realize is no one is listening to you.

wwguy7 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I agree with most of your comments, but this one is ridiculous Namvet. This man has poured his career, and life for that matter, into Lincoln when others weren't willing. He has been a voice for kids who don't fit into the mainstream educational system. What is another 6 months going to do? He probably has enough sick leave built up to take that off anyway. Give the man the benefit of the doubt.

namvet60 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I did get off on the wrong foot so I'll give him that much. The way issues have been going around here sometimes comments get posted to quick.

downhillracer 4 months, 4 weeks ago

"here sometimes comments get posted to quick."

Comments are posted when you push the link ("button") "Post Comment".

What this typifies is the knee-jerk reaction to ANYTHING that is perceived as a cost to the citizenrey.

Mr. Sporleader has worked darn hard for this comunity, the kids in this community, and his family has a multi-generational history of doing good for this community. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he has more than earned whatever benefit is allowing him to get healthy.

namvet60 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm happy to read that you have learned how to manipulate the confines of your keyboard.

Hersey 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I could take up to six months off work and get paid for it. Why? Because I don't abuse sick leave or vacation time. I've earned the time as I'm sure Mr. Sporleader has.

namvet60 4 months, 4 weeks ago

You must remember that not everyone is employed with companies that offer sick leave with pay..

Hersey 4 months, 4 weeks ago

You're right, not everyone gets sick leave, and that is sad that people work and don't get it. But, we are talking about Mr. Sporleader, who I am sure has sick leave.

Jo99362 4 months, 4 weeks ago

namvet60, so your issue is that the principal has served the school district for 28 years is not entitled to his benefits, paid sick leave, or any other payment because he earned it?

namvet60 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Jo99362 - I did not state that Mr Sporleder was not due his benefits. I made the first comment not taking into consideration that the school district does offer sick pay and if he has the time accrued to be able to take that time and then retire all the more power to him. As I stated to Hersey that not that many companies offer sick pay.

downhillracer 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Why must we "remember" the obvious, Mr. "Namvet"? Does this bit of info change anything for the subject of the discussion? What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Stick to "Get Of My Lawn". It requires no thinking.

clarkfamily89 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Does it really matter when Mr. Sporleder retires to you. He apparently has the proper documentation to take sick leave and he works for an institution that provides sick leave to him. I am very sorry that this country does not provide the same for everyone because I personally think it is awful that it isn't what everyone can do. However the fact is that Mr. Sporleder has done a good job, he has made many a contributions through his work and now he is obviously not well enough to take on that role. He chooses to use the sick leave provided him and that he earned to step down. I praise him for all he did in our school district and I praise him for walking away when he knew he couldn't keep doing it. Job well done Mr. Sporleder and hope you find healthier days ahead.