Tough love for the poor

I’m a proud member of Christian Republicans Against the Poor (CRAP). We want to abolish Obamacare, Medicaid and food stamps.

Why? Because poor people vote for Democrats.

We’re already making it harder for poor people to vote. Following North Carolina’s lead, we’re enacting laws requiring photo IDs, we’re shortening the time for early voting, and we’re ending straight-ticket balloting. (We pretend our goal is to eliminate voter fraud, which is virtually nonexistent.)

We would like to impose a poll tax, but liberal courts would strike it down.

To win control of Congress and the presidency, we must deprive the poor of health care and food. Doing so will, to put it delicately, reduce their numbers.

If God had wanted the poor to survive, he would have given them money. Like all Christian fundamentalists, we believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution. We’re doing our part to ensure the survival of the fittest.

Yesterday a merry bunch of us were getting into our Ferraris outside a winery when a shoeless little girl approached us, begging for food. Gently but firmly, we explained that she must pull herself up by her bootstraps. We suggested she sell matches on a street corner.

We call it tough love.

Martin McCaw

Comments

namvet60 4 months, 3 weeks ago

From the context of your letter if it wasn't for racism you wouldn't have a subject to debate over.

MyFamNews 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't see any racism in Marty's letter. Did you just have trouble coming up with your usual snarky comment or what?

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

All of the so-called 'vets' views are seen through charcol-tinted glasses, etched with a tinge of hate. Nothing new here..

namvet60 4 months, 3 weeks ago

MyFamNews - I am, probably one of the happiest go lucky fellas in Walla Walla. It's the constant imposition of these feeble attempts of mental incontinence injected by a select few that instead of commenting on the letter try to condemn and degrade the posters. Maybe I should have stated bigotry and racism. Bringing religion and various persona of the writers ideology into so-called humor is nefarious to say the least.

As I have stated in the past I only inject (snarky) comments when the drivel of the few indicated above have to spew there ignorant comments.

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

It's "their" ignorant comments.

Did you just eat a Thesaurus? Them some big words you strung together there..

PS, wheat you believe is "snarky", is most revealing to the rest of us.

namvet60 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Excuse me - wheat did you say? You should add "snarky" to your moniker.

PearlY 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I suspect namvet was referring to the religious bigotry of Mr. McCaw's letter. Religious bigotry is sometimes called racism when directed against some religions like Islam, which is inaccurately assumed to be comprised mostly of Arabs, but Christianity hasn't made that cut yet. He probably should have just called it bigotry.

namvet60 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Thank you PearlY and I should have kept it to bigotry and I did explain it in a post to another of my monitors and fans (MyFamNews).

Igor 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I’m a proud member of Democrats United for No Growth (DUNG). Though needless, senseless, oppressive regulation and higher taxes we hope to maintain or raise our current rate of high unemployment thereby increasing the size of government and our welfare state.

Why? Because people dependant on government vote for Democrats.

We’re already making it harder for small business people to succeed and prosper so that they can expand plant and hire more people. More people employed by the private sector mean less people dependant on government and consequently fewer votes for our side.

If there were more private sector jobs available we might lose our biggest constituency, namely, the poor. Best to keep them dependant on the government and mired in poverty since few people that have grown up under this awful system will ever seek to better themselves.

We’re also making it easier for Democrats to vote multiple times at multiple polling places by suing to invalidate voter ID laws. We believe that the ends justify the means and if voter fraud is what it takes to win elections then so be it.

To maintain control of Congress and the Presidency, we must strive to make as many people dependent on government as we possibly can. Under President Obama we’ve made great strides in this direction. In less than five short years we’ve doubled the number of people on food stamps and are working hard to sign up more and more for housing assistance.

We’ve also greatly expanded the number of government employees working for useless federal agencies such as the Department of Education, the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency. They all vote Democrat.

If God wanted people that are innovative, willing to take risk and work long hours and weekends to make their businesses grow so that they can hire more people He would not have given us Obama, Pelosi and Harry Reid.

Yesterday a merry bunch of us were gathering to smoke a bit of medical marijuana when we were approached by a little girl begging for a doobie. We explained to her that before we could give her a joint she’d have to show us her medical marijuana card or, at least, wait until our recreational marijuana laws go into effect next year and then get a fake ID.

We call it tough love.

PeggyJoy 4 months, 3 weeks ago

DUNG! I would say, that just about covers your comments above.

By the way, Igor...........lay off the weed. Seems by your comments you have had more than your share.

MyFamNews 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks, Marty: Apparently there are a couple people here, and we could probably add quite a few more, who have absolutely no sense of humor.

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

If it doesn't involve "Get Off My Lawn", the regulars here don't have anything original to offer. Nice try, "Igor", but your lack of originality gets you an 'F''.

PearlY 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought both Marty's and Igor's offerings were pretty good examples of the genre.

Igor 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree PearlY. My rant was only an attempt to lampoon Marty and his clever letter. I'm still laughing at "CRAP," i.e., "Christian Republicans Against the Poor."

I truly do get a kick out of his letters and they always evoke a chuckle. I was only trying, in my own feeble way, to replicate his satirical rant from the opposite side of the coin.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Some of my best friends are Democrats.

namvet60 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Igor - I appreciated your satire, especially without being specific about any one religion. Comments can be made in a general context. Maybe you could invite some of these detractors as guests so that we can be reminded of why we are on the Right side of political spectrum. Have a good day.

downhillracer 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, the 'right side of (the) political spectrum, but clearly on the wrong side of history.

Igor 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Time will tell downhill, time will tell! The USSR proved that socialism on a large scale won't work. Cuba is still struggling. Do you really think that taxing those that work hard and produce and then giving their money and property to the indolent will work? No one does more than I to help the poor. Some need it and others are just paupers.

Igor 4 months, 2 weeks ago

namvet60,

You and I both suffered through the same damn war. I cradled the heads of the dying in my lap. I will never forgive JKF and Johnson for that useless war.

Where were you stationed and when? I was at Cu Chi with the 25th circa 1969 - 70. Still get together with my buddies. We were all fine killers.

Loved the Army and loved my time in the Nam but could not have stayed in. I'd had enough of asshole COs by then.

Just love our Army kids today. Hoo! Aah! If you're USMC then Hoo! Rah! Some of my best friends are Marines. We got together in Nashville two years ago and had a time.

My Army OCS still meets every two years and we do have fun. Love you and all that served in the Nam. Go git 'em!! Again, any guy that served in the Nam is a friend of mine.

Igor

namvet60 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Igor - I commend you for your service and fundamentally my tour was not as challenging. I was headquartered at Clark AB in '61 to '62 transitioning troops in and out of Saigon. Moving around quite a bit so didn't really have time to get to know anybody. In '63 I was in rotation back stateside to Ellsworth (SAC), SD when JFK was assassinated and was under (lockdown) Alert for days. A lot going on so don't remember exactly how many. But I wholeheartedly agree with you about the CO's and the 90-day-wonders that I decided I would fare better in the private sector. I was at top rank and would not go any further until I committed to re-enlistment and that just wasn't going to happen. I appreciate each and every military person, past and present, for the freedoms that we enjoy today.

Igor 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Nam vet-

Sorry for the rather inappropriate language. It was rather late at night when I wrote. As you point out, the military seems to have a way of loosing some of its best people. Perhaps its the culture but I, like you, tend to think it's poor "middle management." At least that's what I observed when I served. Anyway, my best friends are still the guys I met in the Army and, like I said, we keep in close touch. Thank you for your service.