Congress must rise above small-mindedness

I am greatly dismayed at the infantile approach on display in the House and Senate showing us government in its most dysfunctional state.

I urge our congresswoman, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, and her colleagues to rise above the small-mindedness that appears to engulf them. Authentic compromise is not an evil, but a necessary function of good government. Or to alter a phrase, government is not the problem; bad government is the problem.

Improving access to health care for all Americans is not un-American and is not evil.

Extensive give and take took place to get to the Affordable Care Act in 2010. Some of the aspects of the law that are disliked by both sides arose from those compromises.

If a legislator doesn’t like the current health care reform law (maybe because he or she thinks that not enough people will have access to health care or that costs are still not being controlled), then the legislator ought to persuade other legislators to vote for better legislation that he or she crafts. To date, nothing has been brought forward by House or Senate Republicans.

It is inane to poison the operation of government or the economy as a whole by pining for a vote lost three years ago.

Shutting down the government will cause direct harm to tens of millions of other Americans and deny the services that provides for the health and safety and well being of all of us.

Jim Russo

Comments

VinoTinto 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Shutting down the government and trying to deny hardworking Americans health care will have serious consequences at election time!

I wish I had more time to write lengthy commentary, but I'm busy implementing Obamacare, and people do love it ... that's why the websites keep crashing, because of the high demand.

PearlY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Vino, since Obamacare will nearly double my premiums if I stay with the insurance company I've been happy with for 36 years, I have visited the exchange website to see if there's a less bad option for me there, but trust me, it has nothing to do with "loving" Obamacare. I hate it. I hate the totalitarians who have inflicted it on me in their arrogant exercise of raw power to control my life and meddle in my most personal business.

I'm fine with the government being "shut down" (a gross exaggeration, by the way) in an effort to undo the damage.

And I'm well aware, as you must be, that Obamacare was enacted three years ago on the basis of gross lies. Remember the "If you like your health insurance plan you'll be able to keep it" lie? Can you honestly say that was anything other than an outright lie? Do you think Obamacare would have passed if the truth had been told: That every single person who liked his or her plan would lose it and that many if not most people would be paying MORE for their "affordable" coverage than before it passed?

paco1234 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you find a less bad option? Are you sure Obamacare double your premiums? Pearl, you should try again as it does not make any sense! You have the right to hate Obamacre but I bet you love Social Security benefits, Medicare, the protection from the Police, firefighters, safe roads, etc, etc. But if you want all government services tax free, that's a different story. Do you have any ideas as to where to go for a government free Country? Somalia comes close, indeed.

PearlY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There is a less expensive option, which is to leave my current insurer, with whom I've been very happy for 36 + years, and join the exchange and be subsidized, in other words, go on welfare. I'm not sure yet whether it is "less bad".

Yes, I'm sure that if I don't go on welfare (join the exchange), Obamacare will MORE than double my premiums if I try to keep my coverage similar to what I used to have before Obamacare. Old premium, $305 a month, closest plan with current insurer, $718 a month. AND I will still have a higher deductible (an extra $1,250 a year) and out-of-pocket maximum (an extra $2,250 a year). The bronze plan would be $565, and leave me with horrible coverage compared to before.

Why wouldn't it make sense? You really BELIEVED the Democrats' lies about how this would work? They propose to provide coverage for an extra $40 million people PLUS add expensive new coverages to everybody's plans even for people who don't want them, and you thought it would lower costs?

And surely you know there are other options than zero government or what we have now that consumes nearly 50% of GDP between direct and indirect taxes. I'd be fine with a government that consumed 10% or maybe even 20% if it were mostly spent rationally. Paco, I know you can't spell worth a darn, and you aren't always the most logical thinker, but I didn't think you were really stupid. Let me keep my illusions, please.

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Pearl, what do you mean by "...$40 million people..." or is it that your spelling is not that good either? Look at the lumber in your eye first, my estimata amica! Or is it that you've not read Mathew 7:3. Read it, It might help softening your heart too!

I believe that, based on common sense, if other, not as rich countries as ours can cover ALL of their citizens (with better outcomes than ours) we, the riches nation in the world can do it too.

But if poeple like you keep supporting corrupt polititians who favor and help big insurance and pharmaceutical companies in defrauding the government we will keep getting what we've been getting, exempli gratia, poor medicine (or none at all) for the poor and indigent. But you and the "compasionate conservatives" of the world just don't give a darn.

As for your spelling, as painfully carefull as you are, you're far from perfect, my amica...just check your previous postings.

As for your "illusions" I really suggest you check the meaning of "projection" as a defense mechanism. If such habitual projections of yours help you in going through your day, by all means keep doing it.

That's all for today.

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco........ Even as you are attempting to chew Pearl out for her misspellings you have this to say... "Pearl, I've been watching your so call logical thinking, and it goes like this: if is head I win, if is tail you lose! And you always win, 100% of the times. ATTAGIRL!" Really?

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco, having due care for correct spelling isn't painful, but obviously no guarantee against the occasional typo.

"Poeple" like me are people who do not appreciate having our own lives severely interfered, even under the excuse that it will help someone else. Why is it necessary to hurt me in order to help someone? And why is it selfish of me to not want to be hurt, while it is acceptable for that someone else to want to hurt me for his/her own benefit?

namvet60 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Vino - you failed to state where you are implementing and you are helping them on the crashed websites?

Rather a delirious post?

ImJustSayin 6 months, 3 weeks ago

You have actual facts as to why the websites are crashing? Or are you parroting what others say?

namvet60 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Beware - Dreamers are amongst the populous.

ImJustSayin 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's where Vino gets his facts regarding website crashes...from the hard hitting journalist.... ed Schultz

about 2 minutes in

namvet60 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ed Schultz and Chris (Tingles) Matthews is enough to ruin a persons appetite.

PearlY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It wouldn't hurt if the President would rise above small-mindedness and pettiness, like ordering the shut-down of national parks that are usually open 24/7 unattended, just to inconvenience as many people as possible. I imagine they have a special presidential task-force dedicated to making sure the inconvenience of a shut-down is maximized to the greatest degree possible.

Granted I don't listen to/watch/read news 24/7, but it's funny how I've heard dozens of examples of what nasty stuff "could" happen due to the shut-down, but not one word about how much money will be saved by having millions of federal workers furloughed.

barracuda 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Pearl......... I wonder if that is because the plans call for compensation to these furloughed employees...

PearlY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Could be. That's one thing government can do well - give money away for no good reason to favored groups.

barracuda 6 months, 3 weeks ago

PearlY..... I listened to the NPR news tonight.... Yep... They are to vote on back pay for the furloughed workers....

paco1234 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Your answer is in keeping with the "conspiracy" conservative mentality. Malice is seen in any government activity, regardless. Saving millions at the expense of furloughed federal workers, the majority of them veterans? There goes the "compassionate conservative" mentality down the toilet!

namvet60 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Yep Paco - saving money - The President shutting down the open air WWII Memorial for no reason other than ignorance!

It does not have any government guards and is normally open 24/7/365. Just keep trying to make excuses.

PearlY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco, furloughed means they are not being paid because there is no approved budget authorizing them to be paid. If they're working anyway, as I understand some furloughed workers are, then retroactively approving payment for their work is fine with me; that's only just. But retroactively approving payment for their NON-work is, as I said, no more than a gift to a favored group.

"Compassionate conservatism" was a style of conservatism favored by George Bush. I was a Steve Forbes-style conservative. Compassion, in my view, is a personal moral obligation, not a political one. Politics is about who controls the legal exercise of force in a society; I don't think using guns to enforce "compassion" has any moral basis.

MyFamNews 6 months, 2 weeks ago

The President did not order the closing of national parks. The Republican House furloughed the federal employees. In order to attempt to cover, they have decided that they will provide pay retroactive to the shutdown. The shutdown is reported to be costing approximately $200 million a day. This isn't about the debt or saving money.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

If you have the audacity to say and think that it is not this Adminstrations fault for the various closures you live in an airtight area with no ventilation? You should really get out and get some honest updates before your own rhetoric causes your stress levels to escalate.

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Barracuda, this is OcalaPost take , not yours. You've never posted YOUR take on anything. You either criticize or inapropriately make reference to somebody else's opinion. By the way, your punctuation of ellipsis is atrocious! Ask Pearl, she knows everything...and if she doesn't know it, she'll fabricate it!

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

paco - you should really give it a break. Barracuda may make references to different websites but at least they are pertinent to the blog and are varying degrees of debate.

Your posts are totally biased and taken straight off from the Obama networks. Thats why reading your posts are humorous due to the illogical events that you try to purvey. I would hope that if you have children that they will not condone having to pay back the Trillions of dollars that you and your progressive liberal associates plan on leaving them to deal with the rest of their lives!

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco.... You REALLY do know where I stand on this issue and some of the others, but you want to pick a scab etc. But you asked for it and here it is... I am VERY disappointed in all of what is going on in Washington! I am NOT a republican, democrat, libertarian etc. Although I am a recovering republican.... I try to look at several sides to a story... I listen to NPR, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and Fox. And on rare (very rare) I listen to Rush and Shaun Hannity (although a little goes a very long ways), so I try to make up my own mind, and not follow others and be a sheep etc. For example, I don't like it when I see the house AND senate vote to exempt them selves from these laws for example but this gives me reason to believe that the are ALL full of BS! I also hate it when I see OUR President says " I will veto any part of this bill that is any different than as it is written". (paraphrased) He also wants to have all government back to full scale BEFORE he wants to discuss budget cuts and raising the debt ceiling. That does not make sense to me... As for my take? I did not say that the article was correct or not correct.. Or is it my take or I do I disagree with it, etc. did I? I am trying hard to not comment always on things that play into your petty snarky traps... Sorry, I know you like to use words that us "lower" educated people get tripped up on, so I just try to watch in amazement. And I am sorry, I don't give a rats tush what you believe is or is not appropriate... It is truly is amazing to see you and a few other regular posters get off on correcting others spelling or a meaning of a word and during the correction, the words get misused and misspelled etc. Also, as long as I have you reading this.... I asked you a question... You wanted to vote out Kathy Mcmorris, (another blog) and I ask, are you currently able to vote in Washington?

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, I guess your prejudice is finally revealing itself. How come a latino wants to kick Cathy out of office when he is not even able to vote in Washington? Let me see, I've been an American citizen for 73 years now, served in the US Air Force, retired after 26 years as a Flight Surgeon. I've lived in Washington for 23 years and have voted in every election since. I've voted in Ohio, New York, California, Texas and Puerto Rico. I'm proud to be an American latino who defended this country to the end, so you too can vote.

On the other hand I appreciate your political impartiality and open mindedness. ATTABOY!

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

How am I to know what nationality you are? I have no worries what it is, I just asked ... Are you a resident CURRANTLY of this district (who is represented by Cathy)in Washington State, who is registered to vote?

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Try this on for prejudice, Paco:

Contracted priests are being threatened with arrest if they perform Mass for military personnel on base during the shutdown, even as volunteers. But Park Service personnel are on hand to help prepare the National Mall for the immigration amnesty rally.

I was checking a USDA website about weed control today and it was down "due to the government shut-down" but strangely, a link was working to take me to a message from President Obama about how the shutdown was the fault of the House of Representatives but we must all not let ourselves be "partisan."

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Pearl, check the last Gallup poll. It reveals the majority of the American people believe the GOP, not Obama, is to blame for the current mess the Country is going through. I can't wait for the next elections!

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

If true, so what? The point I was making, which you chose to ignore, is that the Obama administration is playing politics with the shutdown, purposely trying to inflict harm on much of the American people, while playing favorites with its special constituencies, some of whom aren't even American citizens. Whether this behavior will be rewarded at the next election or not, it is still despicable.

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Check this out.... Several thing are effected and links to the stories.... link text

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

You meant to say "things" and "affected"...?

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow... You truly are better than all of us.....

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Another bizarre example of the Administration's priorities during this 17% government shut-down:

The DOJ Amber Alert website (the data for which comes from the States) was shut down "due to the lapse in federal funding" while Michelle Obama's pet project, the "Let's Move" website, remained up. (At least when word got out about the Amber Alert website, someone had the good sense to re-prioritize and bring it back.)

The Republicans in the Senate have offered to restore funding for various programs to minimize the inconvenience of the shutdown, but Harry Reid has taken a page out of Obama's playbook and basically said, "It's my way or the highway."

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

They have also shut down the commissaries on the bases for the veterans and their families. The only thing this President is trying to do is just show how ignorant his Administration really is.

There was also an interview with the Treasury Secretary and was asked how many people had signed up for ACA? As usual with this Administration he was at a loss for words and stated that was not one of his concerns. Maybe they should furlough more from the White House staff and end the shutdown?

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

And another bizarre example of how this 17% government shut-down works:

The National Mall is closed to tourists, veterans visiting their memorial, joggers, families out for a stroll. But it is open for the immigration amnesty rally coming up soon. Who's President is he? I guess that tells us.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe it was Vino and Paco that convinced this Adminstration to allow the rally? They already have California as a sanctuary state which is basically putting it to a soverign status which is against the Constitution. But you won't see the DOJ over to investigate.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

This editorial pretty much gives the story on the Obama immigration amnesty and his venture on increasing the Democratic party!

I know how all of my admirers like it when I use Breitbart the unbiased website!

loplover 6 months, 1 week ago

ANYTHING coming from Breitbart needs fact-checking and correcting. If you are trying to convince anybody posting here that you have pertinent facts based in reality, sending us to Breitbart.com is not the way to do it!

namvet60 6 months, 1 week ago

Did you happen to read the last sentence of my post? I just posted the link I didn't mean that you had to stick to the unbiased website!

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Lets vote them all out of office............

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Let's do it. Let's start with that Cuban/ Canadian wacko-bird, Teodoro Cruz!

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

That's funny paco - where did you say your homeland was located? At least Ted Cruz has a reason and a purpose to be here - what is yours?

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

You have a memory of a mosquito, Namvet! "Let me see, I've been an American citizen for 73 years now, served in the US Air Force, retired after 26 years as a Flight Surgeon. I've lived in Washington for 23 years and have voted in every election since. I've voted in Ohio, New York, California, Texas and Puerto Rico. I'm proud to be an American latino who defended this country to the end, so you too can vote". I've treated thousands of veterans and active duty soldiers. I was in Pisa, Italy during the Bosnia War as a Flight Surgeon when Capt. O'grady was rescued thanks to the intense participation of our unit. In my retirement I've volunteered to treat war veterans in Washington, New York, Wisconsin, Idaho, Ohio, California, Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Island.

Appart from reading the tid-bits and cruising the UB postings to insult people, what else are you doing with your life?

As ignorant as you are I don't expect you to know that all Puerto Ricans are American citizens. My cousin, an Air Force F-4 fighter pilot , died in Vietnam during and incredibly heroic combat mission. Who knows, he maybe saved your life, giving his for his Country!

Another purpose for me to be here is to give hell to arrogant, ignorant people like you. How dare you insult me in the habitual, abhorrent way of yours! The UB ought to exclude your postings for good.

PearlY 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Ok, that did it. Four mentions of Puerto Rico in one thread. I had to go make myself some tostones, a batch of sofrito (what I'd give for some real recao and ajicitos) and the arroz con pollo is cooking. Yum.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

As we continue the ongoing saga of the great Paco which the next segment will entail your picture on the PT Boat with John Kerry. Maybe you even treated him for his accidental gunshot wound to the posterior self-inflicted?

But wait - In a previous post some time ago you had stated you were thinking about fresh peaches on your waffles while treating some returning troops with therapy. You then stated you were a pychoanalyst or some type of mental Doctor in the military voluteering your time. Now you state your a flight surgeon. Which is it a flight surgeon or a psychoanalyst?

There are a lot of Veterans that have fought for this country to uphold the Constitution and the Rights for Americans! For your benefit I fought for my rights and still fight to maintain Democracy and Capitalism for the good of this country. I appreciate and Thank the veterans for their service and those who have sacrificed there lives for our Freedom but it seems that your egotistical views just show your self-righteousness!

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I think I'm wasting my time with you...but here it goes. I've always been an MD, a General Practitioner who trained in Aerospace Research Laboratories at Wright Patterson AFB, and did research on fighter pilots ejection injuries. I became a Flight Surgeon and trained as a Psychiatrist in the AF, but never stopped being a General Practitioner. Once an MD, always an MD.

While at it I must say that you're a hypocrit who has respect for nobody. You're always looking for minute , wiggle interstices to inject your poison, regardless of how honorable the person is. Sometimes I wonder about people who wrap themselves up with the American flag and highjack Freedom to then spew out gratuitous, crapulous insults around.

You started this "ongoing saga" my friend. Now, go to church, ask for forgiveness and do gargles with holy water! By all means, swallow it! It might help your...indigestion...

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco.... The silence is the answer... Thanks, that is what I thought.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco - my indigestion comes from your posts so before you go riding away on your High Horse I suggest you go to this website and check out the reviews from your patients (if you can't find it I can post it for your benefit):

www.wellness.com

With reviews like this I would not expound to much on my Medical Prowess!

barracuda 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco... Thanks for you service in the Armed Services of USA. But, in reference to your moving around the world, in your retirement and volunteered to treat war veterans in Washington, New York, Wisconsin, Idaho, Ohio, California, Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Island"* That is great and all. But I asked before and I am asking again.... Are you a resident of Kathy's 5th District of Washington?

pdywgn 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco-1234 Capt. O'Grady was not rescued by your unit in Pisa Italy. He was rescued by a composite squadron of Marines from the USS Kearsage. If anything Gen. Fogleman risked O'Grady's life when he announced at a change of command ceremony that they were receiving intermittent transmissions from O'Grady. The two Super Stallion helicopters picked him up with a total of 7 minutes on station and turfed at 175 knots at 150' off the deck receiving small arms fire and attempted missile locks on the way out. He was rescued by the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit/Special Operations Capable. 24th MEU/SOC. aboard a helicopter belonging to the Wolfpack.

namvet60 6 months, 2 weeks ago

It seems that there are quite a few holes in paco1234 stories!

paco1234 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I said " thanks to the intense PARTICIPATION of our unit". Our KC 135 received his first radio communication and kept intense comunication with all units involved overflying the area. Pdywgn is right about what he discribes. There were also other F-16's as well which our tankers keep refuelled during the operation.

As you know Fairchild AFB is a refulling unit, impossible to engage in ground rescue missions per se.

O'Grady wrote a book about the rescue operation. I believe he himself recognized our participation. I have the book and as soon as I find it I'll say some more about it.

paco1234 6 months, 1 week ago

Pdywgn, your cut and paste from Wikipedia is OK. Read O'Grady's book for a factual, real account of the rescue opperation. The first radio contact was received by T.O. Hanford (Basher one), an F-16 Pilot from Aviano with only 30 minutes worth of gas. Basher one called our KC 135 for permission to refull so he could keep O'Grady on the radio. On page 154 of his book O'Grady writes " Before Basher one left to REFUL he directed me to turn the radio off" ( temporarily) to save the batteries. Our KC-135 alerted our unit in Pisa.

Within a couple of hours the most formidable rescue flotilla was put together. F-16, F-18, A-10 fighters were airborned. Added to this Marine Cobras, CH-53s. Hanford told O'Grady "They are throwing everything they have at you". The British and the French added their fighters as wel.

And this is the good part as our unit INTENSE PARTICIPATION was to refull all these sophisticated machines in an icredible, superbly coordinated warfare aerial combat ballet. We managed to airborne 8 KC-135 tankers, alerted a supremely ready medical force, including a chain of hospitals all over Europe. Not a single accident or casualty occured!

Sergeant Major Angel Castro Jr. ( 23th Marine Expeditionary Unit), a Puerto Rican from the Bronx was the first one in picking him up after giving him something to eat.

Read the book. It's in the Library.