Former Speaker Tom Foley dies

The Spokane native represented Washington state’s 5th District.


Tom Foley, a Spokane native who rose to the highest position in the U.S. House of Representatives — a spot two heartbeats away from president — is dead at 84.

Arguably Spokane’s most successful politician, Foley served 30 years in the House representing Eastern Washington’s 5th Congressional District, the last five of them as speaker, before losing both jobs in a historic electoral defeat in 1994.

He went on to serve as U.S. ambassador to Japan for President Bill Clinton, was a presidential advisor on foreign policy, a principal at a high-powered Washington, D.C., law firm and a member of many directors boards.

The son of a Spokane County Superior Court judge, he was a young deputy Spokane County prosecutor before going to Washington, D.C., as an aide to Sen. Henry “Scoop” Jackson in the early 1960s. He ran against a well-established Republican incumbent, Walt Horan, in 1964.

Foley often told the story of his entry into that race, on the last day of filing week. He had asked longtime Democratic leader Joe Drumheller for support in 1966, when it was assumed Horan would retire; Drumheller fumed against young politicians who were always putting things off, adding that he’d back Foley that year but not two years hence.

Foley thought it over, wired his resignation to Jackson, and got in a car with a couple friends to drive to Olympia, where his paperwork had to be filed by 5 p.m. that day.

They arrived in Olympia and ran out of gas. Foley had to run to the Secretary of State’s office, arriving just before closing time.

He beat Horan that year in a race that became legendary for its civility, and Foley fended off challengers for the next 14 election cycles.

His district was a mix of wheat farms, timberland, Indian reservations and small towns, with more than half of the voters living in his hometown of Spokane. Some of his elections were squeakers; many were blowouts.

Between elections, he rose steadily in the ranks of House Democrats, first as chairman of the Agriculture Committee, then House whip, then House majority leader. He served on the Iran-Contra investigation committee, where he was recognized as a calming influence during on the investigation of a hot political scandal.

In June 1989, when Jim Wright was forced to step down, Foley was elected House speaker, the first person to serve leader of the House from any place west of Texas.

He managed to quiet some of the partisan rancor that erupted in the House over Wright’s forced retirement, and later that year he invited then-President George H.W. Bush to Spokane for a bit of bipartisan showmanship.

Although Foley was often in the middle of national and international events, he was recognized the importance of delivering services to local constituents. One person’s pork, Foley used to say, was another person’s wise investment in the local infrastructure.

With his him in powerful positions in Congress, Eastern Washington’s infrastructure got repeated investments: Fairchild Air Force Base began its transformation from a World War II era depot to one of the military’s largest and most modern tanker bases. Highway 395 from Ritzville to the Tri-Cities went from a windy road to a four-lane highway. Gonzaga University, which Foley he attended briefly, got a new library, which the school named for his parents. Spokane got a paved walking and biking path to Coeur d’Alene to mark the state’s centennial.

In 1994, that federal spending worked against him as Republican challenger George Nethercutt ran against what he called bloated government and entrenched incumbents. Foley had challenged a state initiative that limited House terms to six years; months after the election, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed with him that term limits were unconstitutional. And he’d angered the National Rifle Association – a decades-long supporter – by allowing the House to vote on and pass a ban on some military-style semi-automatic rifles. For the first time since the start of the Civil War, a sitting House speaker lost a bid for re-election.

A strong orator with the gift of a good memory for complicated facts, Foley was probably at his best when telling stories, many of which had him as the butt of the joke. He often told of attending the Omak stampede and making a fool of himself on a horse, which prompted the announcer to say “our good congressman is not wasting his time in D.C. on riding lessons.” He was mortified, but an aide assured him that was perfect – there was nothing locals hated more than a city slicker showing off on a horse. After that he usually carried Omak as long as it was in his district.

Or the time he was paged at National Airport for a call from President Lyndon Johnson. Shown into a private room by awed airline staff, he picked up the phone to have LBJ say “John?” No, Mr. President, he replied, this is Tom Foley of Washington. Johnson swore, said he’d told the operator to get him John Fogarty of Rhode Island, and slammed down the phone. Crestfallen, Foley went back to the gate, where an agent asked if he’d been connected to the president. He figured he could truthfully say yes, and was immediately put in first class for the flight home. “I learned then something of the power of the president: Even a wrong number can get you an upgrade.”

In 1968, Foley married Heather Strachan, whom he’d met when both worked on Jackson’s staff in the early ’60s. She’s a member of the bar, but served for many years as his unpaid chief of staff in the congressional office. The couple had no children, and regarded many members of their office staff as extended family.

Foley had a fondness for electronic gadgets, from cellphones to stereo equipment. He was seldom seen in public without a suit and tie, whether it was a luncheon speech, a campaign stop or a fact-finding mission to Grenada after the U.S. military incursion. Asked why, he said once that’s what people expect their congressman to look like. Watching a retrospect of his career shortly after becoming speaker, he was shocked at his weight gain over the years, went on a strict diet, began pumping iron and riding a bicycle to shed pounds.

After serving as ambassador to Japan, Foley worked for several years at Akin, Gump, Strauss, a Washington, D.C., law and lobbying firm. He’s been retired since 2008, and has been in fragile health after hip and knee replacements and Bell’s palsy. He has been under hospice care for several months, and suffering from recurring bouts of aspiration pneumonia.

Services are pending for St. Aloysius Church at Gonzaga University, and in Washington, D.C.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in