Letter - Putin brings to light God-spoken principals

I have been amazed at the controversial issue occurring before the Winter Olympics from Sochi brought on by Russia’s Vladimir Putin signing a law to protect children from homosexuals promoting their lifestyle and the propaganda that goes with it.

It took a leader of a godless government to bring to light God-spoken principals, for the good, that mankind should live by. A principle our clergy are afraid to speak about in our churches today.

Well, praise the Lord, I hope and pray I continue to stay out of touch with the world for the rest of my life. It seems Russia has a higher standard on moral living than the United States.

When did that happen?

How sad, but yet I’m not surprised at the response of the liberal media and liberal progressive society has toward anyone who would suggest protection for our children against such evil behavior. It seem “we” the God-fearing people do not have the right to disagree with or to protect our children, or to express our opinions without being labeled a bigot in their eyes.

Although I do not support Putin, I do support his view on pedophilia.

I salute him on his stand to protect his nation’s children. There was a time when the U.S. could be counted upon to uphold the high ground, and high principles but those days are gone.

Our president and his attorney general and his administration cannot be looked to for protection of our traditional values and standards that have made this country the greatest in the world. Even the pope has caved to their evil desires. In what seems like a moment in time, our schools, local, state and federal governments have become as godless as Russia’s government is.

I am Christian. I believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ. His sinless life. His death on the cross. His resurrection from the grave for my sins. If this belief is only a “pipe dream,” what have I lost when I die? Nothing! But those who are promoting progressive secularism, what have they lost? Everything!

Bill Miller

Milton-Freewater

Comments

Calzaretta 8 months, 3 weeks ago

To equate homosexuality and pedophilia is wrong. It's wrong on the facts. It's reprehensible. It's delusional. It is an affront to all gay and lesbian parents.

The letter writer claims to be a Christian. I hope he some day hears the message of love and peace taught by Jesus. I wish for him to find the joy in life instead of what seems to be a bitter existence.

Maybe this letter is simply a sick April Fool's joke.

downhillracer 8 months, 3 weeks ago

There is a significant body of research indicating most homophobes are actually deep in the closet themselves. No doubt that is the case here.

fatherof5 8 months, 3 weeks ago

He concludes: "If this belief is only a “pipe dream,” what have I lost when I die? Nothing!"

My first reaction to this was, "No, if you are wrong, YOU have lost nothing. But if your narrow interpretation of your faith has caused others to feel undeserved shame in their lives or has prevented loving couples from marrying or has curtailed their rights to inheritance or hospital visitations, etc.... then, if you are wrong, you have lost nothing, but you've caused others to lose so much."

This attitude will largely go away in another generation or two, or at least go underground, similar to the slow death of overt racism.

PearlY 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm with you on the harm of "preventing loving couples from marrying, curtailing rights to inheritance or hospital visitations, etc."

But causing others to feel undeserved shame? No. That cannot be laid at the door of anyone who expresses a critical or negative view of someone else or someone else's behavior.

We all ultimately are responsible for the care and nurturance of our own self-image, and have no business demanding that others shut up lest we be offended. Even our schools in recent years seem determined to cultivate hypersensitivity and emotional fragility, instead of resilience and the thick skin that would better serve our children as they mature.

Do you really see a "slow death of overt racism"? Legally, yes, Jim Crow is gone, but among individuals it sometimes seems to me that racism is more deep-seated, bitter, and intractable now that it was when I was younger. "Underground" is where sunlight and fresh air can't go to disinfect and dissipate.

NewInWW 8 months, 3 weeks ago

PearlY: "Even our schools in recent years seem determined to cultivate hypersensitivity and emotional fragility, instead of resilience and the thick skin that would better serve our children as they mature."

So you think the bullies in our schools are acting out of some altruistic impulse trying to help their victims develop more resilience and thicker skins?

PearlY 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Of course not. Any more than drunk drivers are altruistically encouraging people to wear seat belts. But while we try to get more drunk drivers off the road, and more bullies off the school yard, why ignore the fact that seat belts are a partial defense to drunk drivers, and a thick skin is an even better defense against bullies?

NewInWW 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't understand what point you're trying to make with your statement. It seems you condemn both bullying and the efforts of schools to prevent it.

fatherof5 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, PearlY, I wrestled with the verbiage of the line: "slow death of overt racism." I inserted the word "overt" precisely for the reasons you describe. The "covert" racism is still alive and well.

As for your other critique, you are right that we are "responsible for the care... of our own self-image." That said, there are a number of vulnerable people - perhaps less self-assured than you or I - who can be traumatized at certain points in their lives by attitudes like the ones conveyed in the above letter. I feel protective of them.

stvsngltn 8 months, 3 weeks ago

For once we agree, fatherof5 .... the writer used the old Pascal's Wager concept .... not something any true believer should ever employ, in my opinion. In any event, since most (if not all) gay persons are born that way, how could religious tenets -- be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim or whatever -- consider being gay as sinful? That doesn't compute.

fatherof5 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Look at us, stvsngltn; we're practically two peas in a pod. :)

(I actually remember learning about Pascal's Wager in college and thinking there was some logic to it, but as you write, "not something any true believer should employ.")

chicoli 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Miller, you really don't know if Jesus was gay or not...after all he was always hanging out with 12 other guys! He was intelligent, compassionate, fair, forgiving, loving, nonjudgmental, human...and wore long, beautiful hair!

chicoli 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I grew up as a catholic in Puerto Rico, a catholic enclave. I also lived in catholic Spain for 6 years, married an Irish lady from another devoted catholic country. I saw the church covering up for pedophiles right and left. After more than 65 years as a catholic I can tell that some in the catholic church clerics were not the only ones with pedophiles on their ranks, with plenty of blame on other religions to go around...and I can tell that equating pedophilia with homosexuality is plain ignorance.

We are parents of a gay daughter and we have many gay friends . For Mr. Miller to hide behind his "christianity" to insult my family and my friends is highly insulting. I consider his insults and act of bigotry and plain ignorance.

If he believes that by highjacking christianity, after what he just said about gays he is going to to be given a pass in heaven, he needs to repent and wash his mouth with holy water.

Kevconpat 8 months, 3 weeks ago

paco1234, you're something else........ Thanks!

stvsngltn 8 months, 3 weeks ago

First time you ever made me chuckle, paco1234. That last sentence was a doozie. And, as with fatherof5, I agree with you today. Is there a full moon this week or something? I'm certainly not Catholic nor have a lot of gay friends or relatives (that I know of, at least) ... but my best old Marine buddy from the sixties does have four beautiful married daughters and one fine son -- who happens to be gay.

Kevconpat 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Miller, you have 'company' in that you and Mr. Conetto both admire Vladimir Putin. BTW, My daughter and two grandchildren are very much loved by me and my Husband. Oh Yeah and NOT in the sick way that you associate with Gay's. Really!? Pedophilia is an acute sickness in some human beings, period. Where did you scrape up your information from!? You are entitled to your opinions, but not your own facts. Finally I am NOT equating Mr. Conetto with Mr Miller's views on pedophilia, only that both men seem to desire friendship with Putin. Go for it- No sarcasm here!