Letter - Current deputy supports Sheriff Turner

I am a Walla Walla native, born and raised, and I have served the people of Walla Walla County as a deputy of the Walla Walla Sheriff’s Office for over seven years.

I rarely, if ever, concern myself with politics. This year is different, and this campaign for sheriff is different. I feel the need to speak up in support of John Turner, our current sheriff.

The 12-hour shifts that deputies voted for have in no way caused morale issues with me. Nor have I seen this within my squad or on other squads.

If there is blame for long hours it would fall on the deputies. Sheriff Turner has only supported our decision to work a 12-hour shift. He truly has our best interests at heart.

The training and equipment we have received in the past 3½ years give each of us deputies the best chance to go home to our loved ones at the end of shift. The support staff, specifically former-Undersheriff Edward Freyer and current Chief John King, have been huge assets.

This letter is in no way meant to degrade the other sheriff candidate. It is simply showing my support for Sheriff Turner and the staff he has appointed.

Many of the things mentioned in the forums and in previous articles lack the truth. I do not stand alone when I say I am happy serving with and working for the current sheriff.

Luke Watson

Comments

Grandma76032 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Outstanding letter! I hope everyone respects this young officer for taking a stand for his Sheriff. Obviously Cooper's "bad morale" stories have been a lie.

tinstar 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It would appear to be another Turner tactic. The young officer, is most likely afraid if He didn't come out and support Turner, He would end up like the rest of the officer's who didn't. A very sad state of affairs.

Hersey 4 months, 2 weeks ago

That is an absurd assumption on your part. He "came out" because he wanted to, not because he was afraid not to. He could have not written at all.

cropcircles 4 months, 2 weeks ago

55% didnt support Turner in the primary

mythoughts 4 months, 2 weeks ago

55% of who voted NOT all the voters voted. Let's not try to change the point. Cooper is running on "honesty and integrity". Those are obvious lies. I'm glad the lies are finally coming out.

barracuda 4 months, 2 weeks ago

You are correct...... Not all voters voted and we need to get more voters to vote. The number of votes cast was pretty poor!

The position is not a sure lock on either side.

dloudermilk 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Thank you Deputy Watson for your opinion on who would make the best Sheriff. Hopefully more deputies can come forward and express support for the candidate of their choice and let the public know. I understand their reluctance in doing so however.

MolonLabe 4 months, 1 week ago

I agree Deputy Watson. If a member of the public has questions, they should seek a Deputy whom they like and ask- off duty of course.