Letter - Blackman, Cooper running for sheriff as victims

The front-page articles on the race for sheriff make my heart sad. They are so negative against Sheriff John Turner.

The articles are mostly about how Barry Blackman and Tom Cooper were victims of Sheriff Turner’s actions, not on how they can do the job better than Sheriff Turner.

Is this who you want for sheriff?

They are not informing us on how they can do the job better than Sheriff Turner. You are only a victim if you allow yourself to be one.

People are always not going to like everything you do and when someone new comes in with new ideas someone is going to be mad. I suggest you go to Sheriff Turner’s website and hear what he has to say. I saw no condemning of Mr. Cooper nor Mr. Blackman, just facts.

Please look beyond the stories and chose what kind of sheriff you want for Walla Walla and the surrounding area. Do you want one who has extensive training for the job or someone who is mad?

I am sure Mr. Cooper and Mr. Blackman are good men and it sounds like they feel victims of Sheriff Turner. I am sure someone feels I have victimized them also as I have to realize I am only a victim if I allow myself to be.

Jeanne Wilson Ziska

Comments

aurora 5 months, 1 week ago

From reading the letters to the editor, it seems to me that JOHN TURNER is playing the victim by hia supporters promoting his view that the UB is prejudiced. They report what they see and it is clear where there is smoke there is fire!

tkmcgowen 5 months, 1 week ago

Based on what the UB has "reported".... I have to agree with Jeanne. Cooper and Blackman have represented themselves to be of character that is extremely resistant to change... with one of them ever stating that he would change things back to "the way they were" before Turner was elected. Instead of embracing change and respectfully following commanding officer, there has been whining and resistance. It has been a long time coming to dismantle the good 'ol boy system. Sheriff Turner has done just that along with bringing the Sheriff's dept into the 21st century with updated training, adding back K9 units, getting more patrol coverage in my tiny rural town of Waitsburg, and arming deputies with updated weapons and protective gear. He has done so by following procedures in place to the letter. He did house cleaning that should have been taken care of during Sheriff Humphrey's watch. Sheriff Turner's actions have been based on items that needed to be address, no matter how uncomfortable it was to address them and find resolution. This may not have made him personally popular, instead it has made him incredibly effective! I, personally, feel safer knowing that there is a Sheriff in office that can nut up when needed instead nutting out by wasting time whining and dragging his feet trying to find a resolution that won't hurt feelings or step on someone's toes!

cropcircles 5 months, 1 week ago

I respect people who can stand up for what's right--that's what Blackman and Cooper did.

mythoughts 4 months, 4 weeks ago

"What's right"....FOR THEM. Not all the others in Walla Walla County

clarkfamily89 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Well as a citizen of Walla Walla County I would like a deputy that is available to talk to the public when they want to talk to him not when it is convenient in his schedule. It is very difficult to reach Mr. Turner and I can tell you he is no busier than Mike Humphreys who answered his own phone and if you left a message he called you back. He cared for our deputies and their families. A prime example was when Deputy Estes lost his battle after an accident that happened responding to a 911 call. Years after that accident Mr. Humphreys was in contact with the Estes and cared how they were doing. Mr. Turner had a bad reputation when he arrived in Walla Walla and this county made the choice to elect him. Hopefully other folks besides Blackman and Cooper feel it is time for a change. Walla Walla needs to vote against Mr. Turner even if they write in a candidate. He has proven everything folks said about him before his last election. Be smart Walla Walla and vote NO to Mr. Turner.

mythoughts 4 months, 3 weeks ago

More lies Clark family He DIDNT have a bad rep when he came here. He doesn't have one now except the garbage you and your friends keep trying to spread. He IS NOT difficult to get a hold of. How do YOU know he is no busier? Did YOU do the job? Did YOU watch everything Humphreys did and everything Turner is doing? Of course not.

grammy97 4 months, 3 weeks ago

My Thoughts, you are extremely rude. Everyone has their opinion just as you do so. Take a happy pill and turn your life around. Or, maybe you just shouldn't post on this public website!

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Nothing rude in stating the facts and asking direct questions. If your skin is that thin, you really shouldn't be participating in a public forum.

campbell_rd 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Sheriff Turner is respectful, knows the law extremely well (very important for Sheriff) and was present at all of the public debates. Where were the other two candidates at the debate earlier this week? Absent again, Mr Blackman was working (evidently didn't try to take time off) and Mr Cooper didn't show and din't even respect us enough to say why he couldn't attend. Cooper and Blackman are always complaining instead of making constructive criticism. I voted for Sheriff Turner I hope you will too, but even if you don't vote for Sheriff Turner at least vote for someone.

mythoughts 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Grammy If correcting lies is "extremely rude" then your going to have to live with that. I will continue to correct them as long as they keep trying to spread them.

barracuda 4 months, 3 weeks ago

If all Turner supporters have the snarky "in your face" attitude the Mythoughts has,

Why would we listen and change our vote?

mythoughts 4 months, 3 weeks ago

You would never listen to anything that you didn't benefit from Chris. That's obvious!

barracuda 4 months, 3 weeks ago

If your last entry was an answer to my entry, I have been called a lot of things but Chris is not one of them. I am sorry, you have misidentified me, but your entry is a great example of the great attitude!