Letter - Turner prepared for jihadist and cyber threats

After scrutinizing all the recent Union-Bulletin articles on the sheriff’s race, it is obvious to me that the most qualified candidate is Sheriff John Turner.

Sheriff Turner is bringing the Sheriff’s Office into the 21st century. New contingencies call for new ideas, methods and techniques to fight crime. The threats of Islamic jihadism, cyber crime and the new wave of gang activity call for an alert sheriff’s department and effective communication. John is bringing the ability to handle these contingencies to Walla Walla County.

At the Burbank forum, Sheriff John Turner was better at rallying his supporters. What happened to the supporters of the other candidates? Also, the other candidates could have brought their own video cameras.

The budget issue is another thing. When I worked for state agencies I learned early on to always have a wish list ready for when money became available.

The wish list would include the item, desired features, price and the best place to purchase. I would update the wish list periodically.

One time, while working at Walla Walla Community College, money became available that had to be spent quickly. I had my wish list available and got almost half the items on the list.

This is what I see with Sheriff John Turner’s budgets: Planned purchases when money becomes available. It makes sense to purchase a needed item if the money is available.

Re-elect Sheriff John Turner.

Victor R. Phillips

Comments

kurtfr 1 month, 3 weeks ago

He's also has saved Walla Walla from the communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Kvgt...

blueskies 1 month, 3 weeks ago

hahahaha. The Dr. Strangelove clip strikes a perfect chord.

Could be that Turner is not enough overkill and that Walla Walla should recruit NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. Oops, I forgot that Bill Bratton never went to college or law school.

downhillracer 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Check your facts. Bratton holds a Bachelor of Science in Law Enforcement from the University of Massachusetts Boston and was a research fellow at the John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Bratton on an E9-1-1 panel in Los Angeles.

blueskies 1 month, 1 week ago

You are absolutely right. Had to review the Wiki article. Nothing was mentioned in the body of the article but this time around I saw it sparingly mentioned in one of the side boxes. I guess Bratton doesn't find his education needing top billing.

blueskies 1 month ago

You are absolutely right. Bratton's educational background was easy to overlook in Wikipedia and I missed it completely. I guess he didn't feel it was that important compared to other experience.

pdywgn 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The reason they need the training is in the event something happens in the State, not just Walla Walla. If you remember the WTO riots many officers from agencies all over the State augmented Seattle PD, King County Jail and working within the Emergency Operations Center. Pretty slim chance of a riot breaking out in Walla Walla or a major terrorist event, but at the State level odds increase and Walla Walla Officers need to prepare for that just like every other Professional Law Enforcement Agency.

cropcircles 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I' m so tired of the insinuation that life before Turner was filled with deputy screw ups, failed investigations, poor leadership, backwards thinking and 18th century training. Every letter to the editor seems to build up all the wonderful and amazing things that Turner has done, but none of it is new. K9s been there done that - went away because of too much overtime to cover the cost of the deputy handler. Personnel costs never go away--one time cost of the dogs is easy. Anyone can do that. Quality trainings always - the difference is that Turner spends thousands on outside people. Before Turner - the sheriff sent one to two deputies to be trained and then came back and trained the other deputies. In house specialists is what we have, but Turner prefers to spend money outside agencies.

mythoughts 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Cropcircles You are and always have been closed minded and negative. Do you ever have anything nice to say? It really is sad.