Letter - Sheriff Turner changes story when it’s contradicted

I received several speeding tickets as a teenager. I deserved all but one. When I tried to fight that one, the officer took the stand and read his story.

When I presented facts that contradicted his story, he simply altered his story to better fit the facts right there in front of the judge.

Facts are truths that don’t need to be changed, but lies must constantly evolve. Catching a witness or defendant in a lie is a very good way to discredit them.

I was convicted anyway. The officer must have been prettier than me.

Sheriff John Turner has told his stories about Barry Blackman and Tom Cooper, but when confronted with facts that contradict his stories, he has simply adjusted his stories. Their truths haven’t changed, but his lies have.

The penalty for my case was an inconvenience and a fine, but Mr. Turner’s lies are nothing short of character assassination that can affect the rest of Mr. Blackman’s and Mr. Cooper’s careers. All this because they dared to run against him.

Get a ticket and most people will just shrug, but get accused of the things Mr. Turner is saying and it will cast a shadow over the rest of their lives. The bully will stop at nothing to retain the power of being sheriff. The lies will only get worse as the campaign continues.

For you fans of Mr. Turner who are tired of the mudslinging, you need not look any further than your own Mr. Turner’s website to see where it all started. Mr. Blackman and Mr. Cooper are only trying to defend their good names and reputations.

I will admit that Mr. Turner is prettier than the other two, so it’s easy to understand why — once again — a judge is siding with a liar. I thought justice was supposed to be blind.

I hope the voters will have more sense.

Stop the lies. Stop the bullying. Stop Turner.

Steven Riggle

Comments

grammy97 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Very well written. Thank You Steve.

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

It's unfortunate when all the anti-Turner/good ol' boy folks can only create disparaging, baseless letters bordering on hysteria, rather than providing objective and thoughtful reasons for us to vote for "their" candidate, whomever that may be.

The only "mudslinging" has come from the Anyone But Turner crowd.

Fortunately, the vast majority of folks I converse with regarding this topic will be ensuring the most qualified candidate is elected: that would be Sheriff Turner.

tinstar 4 months, 3 weeks ago

It is very obvious that your are BLIND, to the fact Turner was the one who started the mudslinging!!!!!!!

downhillracer 4 months, 3 weeks ago

You do realize that has kind of a "neener neener" tone to it, right?

Actually, you invalidated your own argument long ago with the aggressive nature of your position.

Nothing is obvious, and I can see quite clearly, thank you. And, I have formed my options based on my own personal research and analysis. I'm hard pressed to find others who strongly disagree, by-and-large.

Except of course the 7 or 8 regulars here with the in-your-face protests.

Hay4 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Good Ole Boys ? I keep hearing this banter. I have been here all those years. The only good ole boys that I know of are backing Turner. Look at his web page. Fulton is the last of the good ole boys. Get real and provide a real argument. I tire of the Turner corner throwing rocks with holes in them. If you are for someone, give real information and do not throw these old sayings. I hope the voters are smart enough to look for real facts.

WOW 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Good 'ole boys? Isn't that what Turner is running on..4th generation farmer? Has he ever work on the farm a day in his life? Oh, that's right he grew up in L.A. He would come up for the summers and what, meet his 2nd wife in the 7th or was it 8th grade? Never went to school here though. Not saying that makes a difference, but don't say your from here and then call the other 2 and their supporters good ole boys. They are locals. Both Tom and Barry have lived here for 25 plus years, some their whole life minus military time. That says something. What is Turner running from? Just asking.

Hersey 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Cooper was born and raised on the "west" side, not Walla Walla. Came to WW as an adult.

mythoughts 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Downhillrace Thanks for your opinions and comments. Just a word of advice if I may. The few who criticize your comments are bitter and close minded. Pay no attention to them. They do not want to see the truth and you will never change their bitterness or negativity.

cropcircles 4 months, 3 weeks ago

This letter was about honesty. Is that not the most important trait of a peace officer? If Turner were a deputy, rather than a politician, he would have been discredited long ago and then fired. If you cant tell the truth as an officer of the court, you are worth nothing. Ask the PD. They lost a good officer over a lie. How many lies are too many for you?

mythoughts 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Cropcircles When will you ever learn that the residents of Walla Walla County are not so gullable as to believe the unsubstantiated garbage like this letter states and you keep trying to make us believe is the truth.

You are so negative that you have lost any credibility you may have had.

aurora 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Cooper came here as a young man on an athletic scholarship from WWCC and decided to make his home here!

grammy97 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Please check your dictionary for the meaning of "Good Ole Boys"