Letter - Early military intervention necessary

I take offense with a recent letter from Bruce McCutcheon.

I am a veteran of World War II and have had the experience of seeing war. I enlisted on Nov. 5, 1942. I left a very good job to kick the Nazis back to where they came from.

If we had not assisted England in its battle with the force from Germany, Hitler could have taken England. Then, with the aid of Japan (already in China), go after the USSR. Italy went after Africa, and with Hitler, it would have succeeded. It could have easily decided to plunge into South America.

After that success, it would start looking north. It would have seen Central America and then Mexico. This would have been a cinch.

Germany and its allies would have run over anywhere they decided to go.

Now think what we would have done with Germany at our southern border. We would have to protect ourselves only with our close neighbor to the north, Canada.

What would those who think we should never go to war do in this situation? Sign a pact with Hitler and Tojo and Mussolini? How good do you think that piece of paper would be? Probably as much as the pact Hitler signed with Stalin. No good at all.

This is why we need to kick the, um, hello out of our enemies before they get strong. We love this country for all its freedoms, but you have to be able to retain them. And sometimes, we have to expend our might to remain the way we love living.

Believe me, there is no other country that has the freedoms we are blessed with. I always say thank the Lord for small favors.

It is too bad there is no draft. Most of those drafted learned how to obey orders, and respect authority when given an order.

There are two countries that still make it mandatory that everyone capable serve their country. Not the U.S. — and we have the most to lose.

We have never lost a war!

Look at North Korea, it is still where it was when we left, but in worse shape.

If we could have kept Congress out of Vietnam, we would not been have shammed into leaving there, but they are in no better shape now than when we left. And communism hasn’t progressed any further in that area since we left.

Louis G. Valiante

Comments

chicoli 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Valiante, you need to review your History 101, my friend. We lost the war in Vietnam because THE WILL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE was not there. At the time it was better to stop the meat grinder for American soldiers, and save thousand of lives by calling it quit. War, like any other human endeavor, has been formally and conceptually studied since time immemorial. The WILL for WAR is a big chapter indicating how important this is regardless how mighty your armies are.

Right now there is no American Will for war anywhere. Therein the reason for ending this 13 year old war, and for staying away from wars that are not detrimental for this Country.

As for communist China, she is a world power and our friend. Communist Vietnam is thriving, and also our friend. So, the proverbial fear mongering that Vietnam would be the start of the "domino effect" into draconian communism never panned out!

namvet60 2 months, 2 weeks ago

lol - paco - you have the audacity to inform a 90 yr young gentleman Veteran to review his History 101? This Veteran has forgotten more than you will ever know.

tpeacock 2 months, 2 weeks ago

So your loss of memory dictates that his point is invalid? I have 22 years of service in the Army Infantry and was always up for a good and just fight, not what we've been involved in the past 13 years. I can't for the life of me understand why you let personal issues with certain posters guide your typing as it's quite plain to see your replies are nothing more than trying to stir the pot with anyone you disagree with, or have issues with. Whether your 9 or 90 does not validate your opinion, and while Mr. Valiante has the right to post his opinion, being 90, a WWII vet, or any other criteria, again does not validate an opinion. We all have them, some use them more wisely than others, but opinions based in fact are the most valid of any because they cease to be opinions as they are fact! Personally, having served with too many that were so far from being upstanding, worthwhile individuals, I'm darn happy we don't have mandatory service commitments in the USA, that would be the biggest mistake we could make.

namvet60 2 months, 2 weeks ago

And you sir - I did not read in your post any disagreements with Mr Valiante's letter stating past history and some hypotheticals of past history? Maybe you are overextending yourself to criticize someone without validating your own post.

It's total hogwash to degrade a letter with blatant misguided theories.

downhillracer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow - is this not the best example of foolish circular logic and the ultimate in straw-man arguments? Nice job, Mr. 'vet'.

namvet60 2 months, 2 weeks ago

My name is "Bill Anderson" and I am a troll!

downhillracer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Nice to see your courage on display. Please do continue to add to the discussion your thoughtful and well thought-out yet intellectually dishonest discourse.

tpeacock 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I realize it was a sheer waste of time and typing, but my point is clear and I stand by it. This means any and everyone who can't post without being an arse, a jerk, or intentionally having nothing to say but trolling to try and irritate, or perhaps make themselves fell relevant, I'm really not sure. At one time this was a nice place to catch up on things and read further ideas not always making it to print. For the past year or longer it has been taken over by those who can't merely share their opinions, but feel the necessity to demean and degrade others just because they have different viewpoints. I personally don't care what your opinion is, but to childishly post rants that have nothing to do with the subject at hand is just that; childish, and these are adults, I know they are. It's this type of discourse that is the ruination of our society, not what political sway you are under or what your opinions are.

tpeacock 2 months, 2 weeks ago

No misguided theories, my point was VERY clear and your response cemented my position.

tpeacock 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Sir, Sir? I have stated several times I was an Army DI, drop and give me 50 soldier!

namvet60 2 months, 2 weeks ago

OK Mister - Apparently my posts seem to bother you and downhillracer so let me give you some advice. You two proceed down the paths of your choice and I will follow the path that I have chosen and everyone will have a Fine Day.

downhillracer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

No bother at all. It's refreshing to see people not afraid of showing their fears and placing their bias and willful ignorance on display for all to see. Much appreciated.