Letter - Violence stems from brains, not guns

A week ago the paper had a front-page article about a new Idaho law that will allow some concealed possession of firearms at state colleges and universities.

Then this past Tuesday you published a letter that coalesced that Idaho legislation with what was referred to as another school shooting. The so-called school shooting appears to be the recent violence in Isla Vista, Calif., which is near — but not on — the University of California, Santa Barbara, campus.

Apparently we are to conclude that because of a bizarre attack by a person using a knife or other sharp object, one or more handguns and an automobile to kill and injure others near a college campus, the Idaho campuses will now be unsafe. There is special concern that drunken or drug-crazed students will shoot one another in the campus living areas to settle arguments over women.

According to your front-page article, the legislation does not apply to all locations on the campuses and requires a concealed carry permit recorded in an enhanced driver’s license. It is significant in analyzing the stated concerns that handguns will not be allowed in the dormitories.

I attended a college where I know over three quarters of the students had high-powered semi-automatic rifles in their dorm rooms almost every day of the academic year.

During my four years as a student there was not a single shot fired in anger or accidentally.

This experience causes me to conclude that it is not the presence of a firearm that presents a danger, but what is between the ears of the person possessing it.

Until proven otherwise, I trust the state of Idaho to use good judgment in issuing the required concealed carry permits and maintaining safety on Idaho campuses.

Jim Baker

Comments

chicoli 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Baker, I wonder how you managed to know that 3/4 of the students had high power rifles in their dorm rooms! Did you take a survey or just knocked at their door to ask about weapons? Did the college staff know about it? The reason I'm asking is because I don't believe your self-serving statement you conveniently selected to prove your point.

What is between the ears is the brain, a gelatinous substance vulnerable to trauma like in concussion, TBI, and substances such as alcohol, marijuana. Sleep deprivation make young people irritable and prone to anger. A good guy with a gun can turn into a bad guy with a gun at drop of a hat. There is such a thing as Biology of Violence. Google it for more information.

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco,

How do you propose to eliminate (or lower) the chances of a good guy with a gun turned bad scenario? There are thousands of guns out here in this world that could fall into somebodies hands and then do terrible things! Are you now proposing taking away every ones guns to do this?

Some times it is a good thing to have a gun around! Look up Gonzaga University and the students who had to use a gun to stop violence in their own school sanctioned apartment.

Also, when I went to high school here in this great town, a lot of us carried our guns to school and then left right after class to go out target practicing or go bird hunting etc. Any one who thinks that this practice still does not happen is naïve.

Just because it is illegal to carry a gun on campus in your cars/trucks doesn't make it stop! Just like drinking and driving is illegal.... It still happens!

chicoli 7 months, 3 weeks ago

How do I know that when a guy with an R-15 entering the students cafeteria is a good guy with a gun? Do you suggest he should go:"Guys, stay put...I'm a good guy with gun" How about if another good guy with a gun at the same cafeteria shoots him first as he thought the guy with the R-15 was a bad guy with a gun? And when another good guy with another gun sees his buddy shoot he believes the shooter is a bad guy with a gun...and all of a sudden we have an "OK Corral" freaking mess from a freaking terrible mistake!

Again, how do I know that a guy with a gun at Starbucks is a GOOD guy with a gun?

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Please see my answer/rebuttle below.

PearlY 7 months, 3 weeks ago

"A good guy with a gun can turn into a bad guy with a gun at drop of a hat."

Yes, it's possible, and yet, they so rarely do. Unless there's something environmental that turns "good guys" into "bad guys". Do good guys turn bad if they live in Detroit, Philadelphia or Chicago, and then revert to goodness if they move to Alaska, Utah, Vermont, or Idaho?

Sounds like there's a Geography of Violence that has more of an impact than the Biology of Violence.

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco your statement: A good guy with a gun can turn into a bad guy with a gun at drop of a hat.

Try this statement: A good driver with a car can turn into a killer with a car at drop of a drink!

Shall we outlaw drinking and driving too? Oh, wait.....

namvet60 7 months, 3 weeks ago

If the gun control advocates put there money to good use and focus on mental health issues they might be better off.

Kevconpat 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Our mental health system is a disgrace; Is it possible that when someone goes on a shooting spree taking out innocent victims are they sane? I would have to believe most- perhaps all of those people have to have serious mental illness issues. Why else would one do such a horrific act? No easy answers....

namvet60 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Your going to have to knock that crap off - this about the fourth or fifth time I've agreed with ya. :)

Igor 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Nam Vet,

You always hit the nail. The kid from Seattle is a genuine hero. When others were running and hiding he went after the shooter. You can tell just by lookin' at his pic in the Seattle Times he's one tough hombre.

As Jim Baker said, the State of Idaho recently passed a law that allows students enrolled in its colleges and universities to carry concealed weapons on campus if they have a permit to pack.

I guess the Idaho Republicans were worried that they might someday have a mass shooting on one of their state's campuses and wanted their kids to have a fighting chance. The lefties were, predictably, outraged.

While there are obvious downsides to such a law, I believe, on balance, that it's a good law, especially if permitees are properly trained and screened like they are here in Washington.

Read John Lott's More Guns, Less Crime. Lott is an economist with a Ph.D from UCLA and has taught at Yale, the University of Chicago, the Warton School of Business and the University of Maryland. Right now he works for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank which I support with small donations from time-to-time. His book has convinced me beyond any doubt that More Guns = Less Crime.

There's a reason why the left wants our guns and it has nothing to do with public safety. I always enjoy your thoughtful comments.

pdywgn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco-The article was originally about concealed carry, not open carry. You probably walk by people every day that are carrying concealed and don't even know it as it should be.

Igor 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Well told! I've packed since I was a young man because I work in a profession where I get, or used to get, constant death threats.

I once had a guy come to my house at about 0300 hours kicking in my door. I went down in my bathrobe with a baseball bat only to be confronted with a guy with an automatic pistol pointed right at my belly.

I slammed the door and called 911. Fortunately there was a cruiser in my neighborhood and an Officer was there in less than three minutes.

Today I have tasers along with my pistols in my gun safes and can hop to in 30 seconds. No scum bag is ever gonna git the drop on me.

Listen poep0le, there's a reason why the Left wants your guns and it has nothing to do with public safety.

pdywgn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually public safety is the reason the average lefty wants your guns. Like sheep they think the wolves will quit biting!

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco...... Thanks for your honest answer. In all of time I have seen this question asked, this is finally the truth. Good to know!

I guarantee that if you traveled outside of your home today.... Someone, somewhere around you had a gun on them.... my guess is that several people who passed you carried one. Now, the question is, did they have a permit to carry? Or were they carrying one without a license?

Since we already know that you feel that we need to remove all the possibilities of a gun crimes, we need to remove ALL guns! Period! Everyone of them!

Do we need to remove the hunting rifles too? Or do we that we need to remove automatic guns? How about the automatic pistols? Or just the semi-automatics?

OK, now my question is.... How do you want to remove said dangerous guns? Ask nicely? Make a law?

There are 300 million guns in the USA right now. So, how is the best way to remove the guns from all of us good guys who could turn bad? And how about the already known bad guys and the gang bangers? The good ol'boy hunters? Grampa's old gun owners?

OK, in reality, I really don't see that happening at all! If there is a new law passed, just the new sales will be regulated. Oh, I really do believe there might be anti-gun laws passed in the future, but not too many people will willingly give them up!

So what is your goals? Stop the future sales? Ok, if when that happens, we will have guns in the hands of bad people, and no one way to defend you except for the Police Department.

Oh no! I see there was a life taken with a knife last month, And what about the killer who took his car on the boardwalk, I have been following the Boston Bomber on TV. ( I hope the last sentence was spelled correctly.... It was straight out of the NRA playbook)

... [1]: http://www.gunfaq.org/2013/03/how-many-guns-in-the-united-states/

chicoli 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The interpretation of the second amendment by Justice Scalia is the law of the land and all of us must respect it, period. Having said that no sensible American is foolish enough to advocate for taking guns away from anyone. What we "leftis " (as Igor call us) want is gun ownership in the hands of vetted Americans by proper scrutiny for a safe usage. Take Israel where there are guns everywhere, and in plain view. All citizens are guaranteed the right to bear arms. But to get a gun you must pass the most rigorous scrutiny in the world. If someone is caught cheating or straw purchasing, that person gets into deep shit, and into a few years in prison, guaranteed.

The fact that you're in sound mental condition now to own a gun it does not guaranteed that you always be. Ones judgement could be impaired by drugs, alcohol, mini strokes, concussions, etc. Under such circumstances, owning a gun can be extremely dangerous. But if anyone suggest that ownership of guns should be contingent on periodic examination to prove a sound state of mind the NRA will opposed it immediately. How about liability insurance for death or injuries caused? Well, you know the answer!

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco,

So, what you said and to sum it up is that every gun owner is a liability in waiting! Am I correct? I think that is what we all read on your post.

Your statement: "The fact that you're in sound mental condition now to own a gun it does not guaranteed that you always be. Ones judgement could be impaired by drugs, alcohol, mini strokes, concussions, etc. Under such circumstances, owning a gun can be extremely dangerous."

Now, try this same statement out: "The fact that you're in sound mental condition now to own a car it does not guaranteed that you always be. Ones judgement could be impaired by drugs, alcohol, mini strokes, concussions, etc. Under such circumstances, owning a car can be extremely dangerous."

See what I did was change just two words of your statement and it has virtually the same meaning and law enforcement. Every day, we see car accidents happen with DUI drivers.... Some of most logical laws are about DUI driving. But, does that stop them from happening.... Nope!

You guys don't want to go after the bigger problem that exists to save the most amounts of peoples lives... This band aid approach is a joke! The simple fact remains, and will remain LONG after you guys get your new laws.... (because the most of the problem people will still have their guns, and we wont have ours to defend us or your family), is that this type of law is not anywhere close to what is needed.

If one wanted to kill someone, guns or no guns, it can be done...... Cars on boardwalk, knives, poison, Boston bombings of mass people. Just to name a few from the resent news headlines.

Question: Why is it that the Cities with the most gun laws have some of the highest crime rates... Obviously the answer is the bad guys are the only ones with access to guns!

pdywgn 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I haven't read one case of a peron having a mini stroke or a concussion shooting anyone so unless you can provide evidence of other then self defense with resultant concussion the argument can be made that concealed carry prevents mini strokes and concussions and hence an added health benefit.

chicoli 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, I hate to sound condescending, but not knowing your background I must clarify my points. Changes in personality is a clinical marker of a possible neurological problem. MRIs and CAT scan could demonstrate mini strokes, eventually causing what is called in Medicine Multi Infart Dementia which is very similar to Alzheimer's disease. At such point I would recommend to the family to remove his guns.

Multiple concussions could have a cumulative effect causing changes in personality with uncontrolled anger, poor impulse control, road rage, etc. Many spouse abusers have such a background. Professional wrestlers, football players and combat soldiers could fall on this category. As we speak there is a football player in prison with history of multiple concussions followed by reckless behavior, substance abuse, poor impulse control, multiple law violations and, at least two murders attributed to him. I would have recommended removal of his "arsenal" ages ago.

We in the medical community are always looking for research funding to study these behaviors , but is an uphill battle with Congress negating help under the relentless opposition from the NRA. Moreover, the NRA opposes Doctors discussing these issues with patients!

Any way, you get the gist of it. You can always check it out under Neurological causes of poor judgement/ poor impulse control.

Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia are mental disorders with profound chemical derangement of the brain having serious implications in the causality of suicide. Removing guns from some of these patients is a life saving goal in Preventive Medicine. Again the NRA doesn't like the idea of removing guns from anyone.

PearlY 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paco, I don't know why you feel the need to lie on this issue. "The NRA doesn't like the idea of removing guns from anyone" is a lie. The NRA strongly urges ENFORCEMENT of current laws restricting felons and the mentally unhinged from possessing firearms, but the Democratic Dept. of Justice isn't interested in enforcing those laws.

Do you know what happens when a convicted felon is caught lying on a Form 4473 (the NICS background check form)? Usually, nothing. When the NRA met a couple of years ago with VP Biden to urge MORE enforcement of existing gun laws, his answer was that the administration "didn't have the time" to prosecute "paper violations". Besides resulting in a denial of the purchase, lying on Form 4473 is a felony. But of 76,000 denials in 2010, only 62 were referred for prosecution and most of those weren't prosecuted. A total of 13 guilty pleas or verdicts came out of those 76,000 denials, (about 3,300 denials turned out to be in error).

The Justice Department and the Administration consider it a success that 73,000 or so prohibited people were "denied the ability to purchase firearms", so they don't see any point in prosecuting the felons, fugitives or deranged persons who perjured themselves on the form. But what do you think those people are going to do when they've been denied the opportunity to buy a gun legally? Just go home and mope about it? Or do you think that maybe, having failed to buy one legally, they're going to head for their nearest drug dealing corner and cut a deal for an illegal gun?

We currently have this huge federal bureaucracy that costs who knows how many hundreds of millions of dollars and manages to REALLY stop 13 prohibited people a year from buying guns (assuming those guilty verdicts actually resulted in incarceration). All the rest of those denials are allowed to go their merry way to buy illegally, and after all, they're felons and crazies, so what else is going to stop them but incarceration? Their consciences?

I'm "the NRA", and I DO like the idea of felons being denied the right to buy guns, AND I want them punished for trying, so they won't go elsewhere for the tools of their trade. So don't tell me what the NRA does or doesn't like, please.

barracuda 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Some ones done some homework!

Good info, PearlY

stvsngltn 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Bravo, PearlY. You nailed it right into the x-ring. (Center of the bull's eye, for those who may not know...)

chicoli 7 months, 2 weeks ago

So, in summary, your point is : why bather having laws, background checks...after all "they're going to head for their nearest drug dealing corner and cut a deal for an illegal gun". What does that tell you about "those people that have been denied the opportunity to buy a gun legally". Poor criminals who were denied the "opportunity" to buy a gun ...legally? Bravo Pearl, you missed the bull's eye by a mile!

Why the NRA sabotage the nomination of the FTA director for 7 or 8 years?

Please disclose your sources for "the administration didn't have the time to prosecute paper violations".

The NRA is the right arm( mind the pun) of the gun industry who care less to whom guns are sold...as long as the money comes in like water in Niagara Falls.

PearlY 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Paco, when you were practicing psychiatry, did you prescribe cough medicine for psychosis? No? Does that mean you were saying, "Why bother with medicine?" Of course not. The point was to choose a medicine that had a hope of being effective, not just whatever medicine suited your ideology. Same with gun laws, Paco. I'm not against all of them, just the ones that have no hope of being effective without putting other patients at risk.

katherined 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Great article. Thanks for the info, it’s easy to understand. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a 2008 ATF 4473 form, I found a blank form here http://goo.gl/ODuwCs