Woman injured when hit by car on Whitman Street

WALLA WALLA — A woman walking on Whitman Street was seriously injured Tuesday when a motorist struck her from behind, Walla Walla police said.

It marks the second injury vehicle-pedestrian case in the city in as many days, with the first involving a tourist who died Monday after he was hit by pickup truck.

On Tuesday, Mary Morris, 68, was walking on the shoulder of Whitman near its intersection with Sturm Avenue at about 3:20 p.m. when she was struck by a 2011 Subaru Legacy driven by Chelsey Carlton, 27, police said. The impact with the passenger-side front bumper threw her onto the windshield of the car and then onto the grassy portion of the street’s shoulder.

Morris suffered head injuries, according to the police report, and was transported to Providence St. Mary Medical Center. She was listed in satisfactory condition this morning

On Monday, 71-year-old Dr. Horst-Peter Rothar, a German tourist, died from injuries he suffered when he was struck by 1992 Ford pickup driven by Michael Cantu, 23, at the intersection of Main and Palouse streets. Police said the angle of the sun at about 5:30 p.m. when Rothar was struck might have been a factor.

Walla Walla police spokesman Tim Bennett aid neither driver in the two collisions have been cited, but investigations are continuing.

In March the Walla Walla County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office declined to file charges in the death of an 81-year-old man who was struck by a truck in the intersection of Poplar Street and Seventh Avenue in October 2013.

Luke Hegdal can be reached at lukehegdal@wwub.com or 526-8326.

Comments

namvet60 6 months, 1 week ago

It was the reflection of the sun from there cellphone that caused this accident? sarc. . . . . . .

oldguyonabike 6 months, 1 week ago

School zones in Walla Walla are rampant with cellphone violations. How many citations have WWPD issued?

GeneandCassie 6 months, 1 week ago

Is this particular accident (Whitman St) in a School Zone???

Today while waiting for the traffic light to change for me at Palouse and Main I watched pedestrians cross Main when they weren't supposed to......

downhillracer 6 months, 1 week ago

So, with your twisted logic it's ok to hit them? Good lord.

mossyrocks 6 months, 1 week ago

Even if people are crossing when they aren't supposed to doesn't give you the right to run them down. I walk around a lot and I never cross unless I have the light/right-of-way but that doesn't stop drivers from nearly running me over. While walking to and from my job at a law firm downtown I witness many drivers running red lights, talking on their cell phones, putting makeup on, etc. No person who is walking or riding a bike will intentionally throw themselves in front of a large moving vehicle that could kill or seriously injure them.

Today while I was walking on a sidewalk a driver who was turning left into the hospital nearly hit me. I am very cautious and saw this driver and got out of his way. He felt bad, but not as bad as I would have felt if he would have run me over. Drivers need to remember when you are turning into driveways and/or business that people may be walking on the sidewalk. Also, when turning right or left check for people who are walking or who are waiting to cross into the crosswalk. Simple. It only takes a seconds to look and see if someone is there.

As walkers, you can pretty much assume that drivers making left turns (towards you) will not see you in the crosswalk-they should see you-but are too involved in what they are doing to notice. Yesterday, a lady in a large SUV, was turning left and I had the walk signal but she was on her phone so I just let her go because she probably would have ran me over. I missed my light but I could tell she wasn't paying attention. Please people really pay attention, during the warmer weather more people are out and about.

jennybuggs 6 months, 1 week ago

Have the WWPD ever prosecuted a motorist for a pedestrian or cyclist death? I feel like it could be midnight and they would still claim it was the angle of the sun.

GeneandCassie 6 months, 1 week ago

Dudes / Dudettes- Chill please.... I don't recall mentioning above that it was 'OK' to do anything.... totally your conclusion based on whatever logic being used......

Just said I was waiting for the light at the intersection and watched pedestrians crossing when they shouldn't have been.... this intersection has five entries and I was at one of them and the walkers were crossing at another one..... no where close to each other.....

Too busy racing downhill and gathering moss on the rocks......

mossyrocks 6 months, 1 week ago

I am sorry you found my response rude. Or angry. I didn't intend for it to be read that way at all. I don't take the loss of a human life lightly especially when it could have been avoided (referring to the German tourist who was killed earlier this week). I guess I felt your comment was insensitive considering a man lost his life this week and this woman was struck from behind. I apologize if I somehow offended you with my response. I walk everyday so this is very close to home to me. Sadly, this is not a pedestrian friendly city. I think we all need some awareness.

shiftboss1 6 months, 1 week ago

I was also driving downtown today at 2nd and Main when a woman crossed the street when the crosswalk obviously said "don't walk" as I had a green light to go through the intersection. The truck in front of me was blocking my view somewhat and after he passed in front of her I was able to see her and stop. She was so busy with her phone conversation that she had no clue and seemed surprised and embarrassed when she realized her predicament, as she had all the traffic stopped. Pedestrians need to behave responsibly also. It is not always the drivers fault.

oldguyonabike 6 months, 1 week ago

Distracted movement is a hazard. Thank you for not running her over, I am sure she is a nice person.

PearlY 6 months, 1 week ago

It's a sad fact that a lot of young people don't yet have the judgment to be good drivers and a lot of old people don't still have the mental agility and physical coordination to be good drivers. The ones who are in between are often too distracted by the combined responsibilities of children, job, mortgage, spouse, etc. to be good drivers.

When I'm driving, I try to remember that. When I'm a pedestrian, I try to remember that even harder. And, no, downhillracer, that doesn't mean it's OK to run me down.