Letter - Say ‘no’ to growing, selling marijuana in Walla Walla

I would like to share my thoughts about the recreational marijuana production business that was under consideration in Walla Walla County.

Eastern Washington was against legalizing recreational use, yet once again King County determined the direction of our state. We now have the dubious distinction of being one of only two states in the country that legalized pot.

Our county had the option not to allow crops to be grown or businesses to sell pot, but I guess the revenue was just too enticing. Has anyone considered the impact that a more readily available supply of pot will have on our youths; or how the additional law enforcement costs will offset the financial gains of this revenue?

An article came out today in Time Magazine entitled, “Legal Pot Might Make America’s Kids Stupider, Say Researchers.” Based on a report from the New England Journal of Medicine, the report states, “For starters, smoking pot regularly from an early age is correlated with a lower IQ.”

It also states the following: “ ... scientists speculate the drug can interfere with a critical period for brain development during the teen years. ‘Adults who smoked regularly during adolescence’ according to the review, have ‘impaired neural connectivity’ in parts of the brain involving alertness and self-conscious awareness, executive function, processing of habits and routines, learning, and memory. Smoking marijuana as a teenager is also linked with poor grades, criminal behavior, and increased risk of dropping out of school, according to the review.”

Allowing the production and sale of marijuana in Walla Walla County puts our children at risk, both by exposing them to secondhand smoke, which carries about 50 percent as much of the chemicals to systems that are unable to process them as an adult can, and also making it much easier for teenagers to have it available for recreational use.

Is the revenue really worth the negative impact on our community regarding criminal escalation and the impact on our children? I say a resounding, “no!”

Debora Rossi

Comments

tpeacock 2 months ago

Perhaps getting your information in the form of maybe's and most likelie's which is all the so-called experts can give as they have no real world experience, or are quite biased in their offerings of information, then maybe you should make more of an effort to get factual information to help come to a more informative judgment. I can assure you, from experience both first hand and from many people I know, the comments and judgments you cite are absolutely wrong. This has been one of the most unfair dissemination's of facts regarding marijuana, that being the facts society has been inundated with are all from people with little to no actual experience with pot. As an example, if I want to know how to work on my car, or even how a car works, I don't ask my doctor, I ask my mechanic. While my doctor may know some things about a car, his knowledge is quite limited in comparison with my mechanic. Doctors and Law Enforcement personnel weighing in on pot have their own agendas that effect how they look at pot use, and how they disseminate information to the public. While you may not like the new law, to hold judgment on the use of, those that use, or those that are working toward the production or distribution without any real world factual knowledge, holds little to no validation.

Cowboy01 2 months ago

Well now Teacup, I see you are all for smoking pot, well that’s all fine and dandy but what she is saying is that pot makes you stupid. It may help with pain and is better for you than a pain pill but that was just a way around the law to begin with. Plain and simple the only people this is going to impact is the youngsters running around thinking it’s cool to be stoned all day. For a parent that watched his kid go through this, what she is saying is true and the things she quoted are true. Maybe you should do some homework instead of just thinking it’s totally harmless because to the kids it isn’t. And yes once again King county is the deciding factor in all this crap that floats this way. If you want to go smoke pot that’s all fine and good, but don’t sit there and defend it like it’s something good thing for the kids to have and that it won’t affect their lives because you are dead wrong and I have lived that fact so yes I’m speaking from experience just in case you were wondering.

tpeacock 2 months ago

So because you happen to have a kid that couldn't control himself with pot, you are somehow an expert? Sorry, but using that same logic, look at alcohol, it's effect on a large number of folks, and yet it's still legal and the demon of choice for many who rail against pot with little to know true knowledge of it. Of course, within the first three words of your reply I sensed where you're coming from, and see a lack of any kind of reasonable discourse with you. Now, if you take the time to go back and read closely, you will see that I have many years of experience. 44 years to be exact, and just recently graduated Summa cum Laude from Eastern Washington University. I was also an Adjunct Instructor at ITT Tech, and my resume goes on and on. It's the person and their mind that is the central cog in how any substance affects them. Before you start going off on anyone, you should take a moment to think about what you are saying, do some research instead of coming off a 'gut' feeling, depersonalize the topic especially when using a family member's experience as it's hard to separate fact from fiction when your family is a part of the scenario as not many want to admit when their kid turns out to be less than what they expected that it could merely be the kid's fault, and thus have to blame it on something, anything other than the kid or perhaps themselves. I have done my homework, up close and as personal as it can get. As I recall, by the way, the law is very clear in that only adults can legally purchase it, but then up to this point, kids have been able to get and still will, legalized or not. It might be a better idea to send your energies trying to fight that access, but then, the same is true for alcohol and efforts to stop the flow of that to minors hasn't been a resounding success.

Cowboy01 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Like I said you are a pot head 44 years on top of that. Just because you can go through life high doesn’t mean the kids can, yes kids can get a hold, but now it will be way too easy for them. Just like the legalization of spirits, now the kids can go to the store and steal it, which then leads to a criminal record thus the downhill effect starts. Just like it will with pot, most kids get high then become useless couch potatoes lacking any sort of ambition to do anything but sit around and smoke pot thus the other downhill effect starts, and by the way I’m not the only one that has seen this time and time again. You might be a functioning pot head but don’t sit there and glamorize it like it’s something special because it’s not!! I feel sorry for the kids because this IS going to have a bad impact on them. I know you don’t think so, but you will see and unfortunately all of us are going to be a witness. Oh and since my kid has stopped smoking this pathetic drug, he is now 100 percent a different person.

GeneandCassie 1 month, 4 weeks ago

The land of the "W's," Wine,Wheat,Weed,Water,Wolves,Walla, Walla....."

chicoli 1 month, 4 weeks ago

THC acts on specific molecular targets on brain cells called cannabinoid receptors. It is here that THC causes undesirable side effects such as altered memory, poor concentration and altered thinking. It also alters sensory and time perception. In young users it could substantially reduced connectivity among brain areas responsible for learning and memory. Heavy users lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and 38.

His medical benefits are anecdotal at best. Evidence base data shows that marijuana medical benefits is no better than placebo. There is no medical condition that could not be treated better with just regular medications. Some exceptional cases of seizures in children benefit from it. Your primary care provider can direct you in seeking proper treatment rather than self-medicate with marijuana.

Marijuana is addictive, period. The younger you start using, the more addictive it gets. Withdrawal symptoms ensues when trying to quit, and symptoms include irritability, anxiety, decreased sleep, and cravings.

Compare to non-marijana- users marijuana may cause problems in daily life, and make a person's existing problems worst. This is, indeed a very costly way to get high!

Carlos Acevedo MD.

Cowboy01 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Is that research enough for you TEACUP!! APPLAUSE to Chicoli !!

tpeacock 1 month, 3 weeks ago

'Evidence base data shows that marijuana medical benefits is no better than placebo. ' That opinion is merely that; an opinion (and it's sentence structure and grammar usage is not what I would expect from someone with MD in their title). It does not parallel the majority of medical based evidence that a majority of doctors find relevant and factual. Another thing I've learned over the years; titles of any kind do not make one's opinions any more believable, only statements backed up with facts! An OB/GYN has MD for a title, but I'm betting my bottom dollar an orthopedic surgeon is more believable when talking of bone fractures and the best course of action regarding them than any OB/GYN.

barracuda 1 month, 3 weeks ago

It seems that when you are contradicting Paco... You are contradicting the person who agrees with you on your most of your beliefs.

And, secondly, where do you get your facts about pot from? Are they from a legit medical journal or factual and honest news agency? Or from your own investigation and use? How many MD's agree with your stance? I would bet it is a large minority. From the little I know about the drug, it seems the Doctor has a good and valid point. (not often that I feel about his views as such, lol).

So what and where are your facts to support your views?

Our facts? almost every entry of the medical world and (as much as it pains me to state it) Paco... I would assume he has some medical training and has looked after a few pot head Vets after they returned from a terrible of world war, and has gotten used to the world of Pot.

(don't get used to the soft words or fuzzies Paco)

tpeacock 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The two expert angles we have had to listen to over the years; the medical field and law enforcement. While my hat is off to both for the jobs they do, the lives they save, etc, not one lick of that makes them an expert. Ever wonder why their reports, much like parts of Dr. Acevedo's letter, have possibly, theirs a good chance, it's highly likely, and so on laced in with their comments? As for this ridiculously idiotic name you keep calling me Cowboy01, as I stated in my first reply to you, your name calling says worlds for any chance at a reasonable discourse with you, and your latest post really doesn't add any more to what you already said. Glad to hear your kid's doing better, and I mean that sincerely. My line of reasoning, garnered from years of watching people use a variety of substances, especially alcohol since it is more readily available and has been legal for most of our lives, is that it's the individual and the make up and strength of their mind.
Pot is legal for 21 and over, I certainly don't advocate for use by those under 21, nor for those that can't handle substances of any sort. My comment was initially a response to yet one more letter with irrelevant, misstated facts, and probability assessments made by researchers with no actual, factual experience. Say what you will, but espousing facts that aren't based on anything more than opinion, well they aren't facts at all.

VampireNinja 1 month, 3 weeks ago

A simple Google search could make clear the obvious bias present in statements given by Cowboy01 and chicoli if one was willing to to a bit of research - I encourage anyone who has legitimate questions or worries about marijuana to do their own.

chicoli 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Wow, that's an incredibly profound insight! Vampire's recommendation is true for every issue in consideration, not just for marijuana. But if you want to clarify biases on both sides of a dispute, the only way to clarify the issue is by taping into reputable scientific entities and into evidence base research in the matter. As good as Google is, there is still a lot of garbage to be sucked in by a naive audience.

I recommend to Vampire and others to search directly the NIH, the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic and or the New England Journal of Medicine website. Look after for Marijuana, addiction and medical use. An informed citizen should have the benefit of evidence base information, not garbage.

VampireNinja 1 month, 3 weeks ago

There are a vast number of resources on the Internet including those, I'm just drawing attention to the fact that there is bias on both sides. I'm willing to trust a truly undecided and inquisitive person who really wants to look into it beyond what we say will draw a fine conclusion.

chicoli 1 month, 3 weeks ago

So, you're willing to trust...an undecided person? Really? Well, as a young man I used to be an undecided person, but now as an old man I'm not too sure I ever was! There you have it...trust me, Vampire!