Letter - Opinions in recent Union-Bulletins too liberal

However, our area is noted for being conservative and just why the Union-Bulletin seems to be printing more liberal columns and cartoons that don’t appeal to many of their readers is perplexing.

Several examples of the Union-Bulletin’s decisions can be found in its interest in displaying David Horsey’s liberal cartoons and his feeble attempt at opinion writing.

More recently we are privileged to read E.J. Dionne’s criticism of former Vice President Cheney’s op-ed piece that appeared in The Wall Street Journal. Maybe the other fool that Cheney forgot to mention in his piece was E.J. Dionne.

Mr. Dionne is critical of Mr. Cheney for supporting the war in Iraq. Just in case Mr. Dionne didn’t spend any time on research, the following individuals also were in favor of taking action against Saddam Hussein: Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Madeleine Albright, William Cohen, Sandy Berger, Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Carl Levin, Tom Dashel, John Edwards, Jay Rockefeller, Robert Byrd, Bob Graham, Nancy Pelosi and scores of others in the House.

Liberal papers like The New York Times and The Washington Post were also supporters.

Unless the Union-Bulletin is attempting to convert all of its readers to liberals, it might be a good idea to sample what the readers want. Otherwise they might not end up with too many readers.

Nat Webb

Comments

downhillracer 5 months, 3 weeks ago

”Reality has a well-known liberal bias. —Stephen Colbert

There is a long history of accusing the media of having a liberal bias, mainly as a method to discredit critics without having to disprove the point they make (ad hominem). Papers that supported the civil rights movement and labor union movement in the United States were frequently accused of having liberal and/or communist leanings by conservatives.

Conservatives who lambast anything for having a liberal bias most likely genuinely believe what they are saying. It is a staple of the ideology to stand for 'tradition' and the status quo, so it is not surprising many conservatives are firmly entrenched in their personal opinions and beliefs and will employ willful ignorance when confronted with opposing view points, no matter the accuracy. A story that can be firmly based in fact can be accused of having a liberal bias because it goes against a central part of conservative thought and political discourse (evolution or global warming, at least with American conservatives). If a news organization is actually left-leaning, or if conservatives suspect it of being left-leaning, news stories can't be trusted, and every fact mentioned now comes up for question.

This type of ignorance can have a terrible effect, and in Texas has actually lead to whitewashing of history in school textbooks

namvet60 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Great letter Mr Webb - the majority of the editorials is almost as bad as getting a 2 minute dose of Al Sharpton on MSNBC. If there was a better variety on the editorials wouldn't be so bad but this steady drivel of Liberal rhetoric causes a person to only read parts of the paper. Obviously not getting our money's worth.

chicoli 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Nat, please remember that Democrats in Congress were fed a bunch of lies concocted by the republican neocons. Way before the war started, corporations favored by Dick Chaney, such as Halliburton, already had their non-bidding contracts . Halliburton offered an array of oilfield services and products to upstream oil and gas from Iraq to customers all over the world.

Dick Chaney and Bill Kristol (and other neocons) have no shame in criticizing this administration after causing the most outrageous tragedy (where we lost more than 5,000 of our heroes, and trillions of dollars) in the history of this Country. They are responsible for messing the life of millions of innocent Iraqi civilians. They broke all the pottery in the barn...and now we the American people have to pay for it. Thanks for the present to America! Shame on them!

tpeacock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello! Who do you think owns the U-B (and has for several years now)? You people are so busy leaning to the right and/or left and making rude comments at each other you don't seem to have any time to spend on knowing about your local newspaper. Of course, since my dad worked there from the 50's to the 80's, I guess I have an edge up on y'all, even with my pot addled brain, Heaven's to Betsy!

Kahunga 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Your comment could be interpreted in a number of ways. Are you referring to the owner of the Seattle Times that backed a Republican candidate for governor, or the backing of Obama for President?

tpeacock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm guessing you replied incorrectly, my comment is very clear, but to make it even more so; The Seattle Times is the parent company of the UB. How this could be in anyway difficult to extract from my comment may lead credence to the claim in my post regarding folks too busy demeaning other's comments to spend time having knowledge of their local paper?

Kahunga 5 months, 3 weeks ago

You seem to be the one with all the anger. I know who the Parent company is and I know who the owners of the Seattle Times backed for President and governor. I guess I really don't know the point of your post. Is it supposed to mean the UB is liberal because of the parent company or conservative because of the parent company? Or something else?

downhillracer 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't see any 'anger' at all, just a concise clarification of the facts.

tpeacock 5 months, 1 week ago

'I read The Seattle Times and I can understand why it leans to the left. Many of its readers are liberal and it makes sense that it appeals to those who are the intended readers.' The very first sentence of Mr. Webb's letter is the basis for my response. The parent company of the UB is said to lean heavily to the left, and so too, the UB. As for who a person votes for; this is not a measure of one's political leaning per se, as many of us vote for who we believe is the best candidate, party affiliation having little to know influence or impact on that vote. As for any anger, once again I have trouble finding where this could be gleaned from any comment I have made. If you don't like what someone says, fine and dandy, but just because you have a different opinion or mindset, does not mean someone's comment has anger at it's it root.

PearlY 5 months, 3 weeks ago

The U-B will keep its readers as long as it is the best source (as far as I know, the only source) of local news.

The solution, Mr. Webb, is to start an alternative newspaper (online only would probably work, and have much lower start-up costs). Let me know when you've got it running. Heck, let me know if you're going to organize it, and I might buy some stock in it if you've got a good business plan. Personally, I'm past my entrepreneurial days and don't want to work that hard, or I'd do it myself.

Kahunga 5 months, 3 weeks ago

It is so unfortunate that Mr. Webb has to expose himself to another stream of thought. Maybe the U-B could produce two editions. One for Mr. Webb and others that want to remain in their insular, cloistered bubble and one for the rest of us that like to read opposing viewpoints.

Kevconpat 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Nat Webb, Namvet: Grow some back bone! Quit living in an unrealistic secluded world of...."this is the way it is" and "this is the way it's always been"... WW has changed and will continue to do so. Mix it up a bit and stop complaining and whining. Be a part of a better community.You sound like little babies who can't get their way! It's pathetic. I love a good run with those who are not like - minded like my husband and I. We talk it out and listen, a lot!... and in the end we've become better neighbors for it. This neighborhood is a great example of how listening and working together, regardless of political persuasion or sexual orientation fostered respect of all our families, despite differences, and gave rise to a great celebration in what was desired for all of us, like a meth/heroine drug free neighborhood after years and years! It was pure hell. We all did it together because of our shared values. We are Demo's, Repub's and yes- Tea Party families........Liberal and Conservative with many shared values all on the same blocks! No kidding! Peace out-

namvet60 5 months, 3 weeks ago

This the "Opinion Page" and I agree to disagree. That being said I don't quite understand your pathetic comment? If through your diatribe you are suggesting everyone huddle up and fall underneath the Liberal Umbrella - I could only equate that to a gigantic cult and you and whoever would like to join take that journey. I have multiples of friends that are left leaning, moderate and not sure of what they believe. I will continue to remain conservative and expound on Liberal atrocities that are taking place in the country. And trust me I find peace with that mindset.

Kahunga 5 months, 3 weeks ago

But your original post did imply that you don't read any of the liberal opinions. Why not take them into account? You may learn something.

namvet60 5 months, 3 weeks ago

It would depend on your definition of Liberal opinions? If they are not hardcore and so far left they need a crutch to stay upright I will read until it is obvious the direction of where the editorial is going. If there is any content worth reading I will finish it. The U-B sticks with some of the ignorant hardcore that couldn't carry a Journalist lunch for them. Those are the ones that I believe Mr Webb is referring to (or I am) that we get a constant drivel from.

Kevconpat 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Namvet! I am surprised! I would have thought you of all people would have applauded our diverse neighborhoods successful efforts in ridding the city of one less meth/heroine drug house. Instead you attack this committed group of neighbors - calling us a 'cult and huddle' under a liberal umbrella. Wow........you sure have a way with words. Didn't know fighting meth and heroine was a liberal cult agenda. You don't really support illegal hard drugs, do you? Ps, love to meet your friends; see if any are mine. One never knows!

namvet60 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Now that is some fine piecemeal nit-picking on your part. I never stated anything about your neighborhoods endeavors. I was referring to - "Nat Webb, Namvet: Grow some back bone! Quit living in an unrealistic secluded world of...."this is the way it is" and "this is the way it's always been"... WW has changed and will continue to do so. Mix it up a bit and stop complaining and whining. Be a part of a better community.You sound like little babies who can't get their way! It's pathetic." My original post was in reference to the content of the letter and the U-B editorials. As for the last part of your comment that is added on about your neighborhood - OK - fine - Good luck with that.

Nothing like taking a comment totally out of context and throwing in an obnoxious "as you put it " pathetic post to which had no bearing on what I made my comment to. It is also rather obvious from my past posts my opinions on legalizing hard drugs.

Kevconpat 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, some of your long ago past posts were often contradictory. Whatever, sometimes we all, yes me too- say things and we swear later that we didn't. Hmmm, that is a human trait of all political persuasions. Anyway, your conservative friends, and maybe your- as you put it, left leaning....how is that possible for you? You go out of your way to bash, belittle and dissect anyone's opinions that are to liberal/left leaning. Of course, what is liberal to you is anyone's guess. I often laugh, (but not at you)...I'm just perplexed how I get you in such a rub by just being, well me. I have never for once thought myself left leaning. I am centric and have a deep belief in fairness and equality. This I believe is pretty darn conservative. The weekend is nearly here; throw back a cold bruski and enjoy this time with your wife. My husband and I will chill as well.

VinoTinto 5 months, 3 weeks ago

If the UB leans any more to the right it will fall over.

Jo99362 5 months, 1 week ago

I didn't think it was that liberal, it keeps having a huge section for christianity every week that I bypass as quick as the sports scores. I wish the UB would cover more local stories, especially not AFTER the event has happened. For example, the East Oregonian does all the work of reporting before Round-Up of what to expect, the history of random things, then coverage DURING the event, and the official results afterwards. I enjoy their newspaper a lot more because it covers regional stories and state-wide issues that affect the community, with some other tidbits.