Letter - Sheriff Turner’s integrity has earned him respect

There is a rich, deep history regarding the office of the sheriff.

It dates back to being the enforcer of the king’s laws in old England. The idea was then carried over to the newly born United States. Years later, the “Wild West” was filled with numerous stories of the single lawman, protecting and serving the people, sometimes receiving little to nothing except the satisfaction of knowing that he was doing what was right.

But in all of the history and in all of the stories, it was one specific man the people trusted to be their sheriff.

Today, the same history is true with a man who has long-standing family ties with the Walla Walla community. As a result of Sheriff John Turner’s integrity and professionalism he has earned the respect of citizens in his county and the respect of those in the law enforcement community.

As to be expected, there have been some negative comments made regarding Sheriff Turner. But what speaks volumes about the sheriff’s character, is that Sheriff Turner welcomes and encourages everyone’s right of free speech.

So, I encourage those making negative comments to review Sheriff Turner’s law enforcement career. Look to see how much Sheriff Turner cares for his community. See the awards and accolades that he has received.

Then you will find why so many working in the field of public safety recommend that Sheriff John Turner should be re-elected to the office that he so humbly serves.

Please join me, along with each of the other sheriffs in the state of Washington, by endorsing John Turner for Walla Walla County sheriff.

Sheriff Casey Salisbury

Mason County

Comments

barracuda 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Simple question.... no hidden agenda......

Can anyone answer as to whether or not, Sheriff Turner has yet gotten his Washington State certification yet?

tinstar 5 months, 2 weeks ago

He has not completed the basic academy. From my understanding He is considered an administrative Sheriff only.

barracuda 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks.

Does that mean he has no arrest powers?

How about John King? Has he completed the requirements to be State certified?

tinstar 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes- no arrest powers. As to Mr. King He is Wa. State certified.

mythoughts 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Sheriff John Turner was required and completed the Washington State certification in his first year in office.

mythoughts 5 months, 2 weeks ago

He does have arrest powers also.

mythoughts 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If you would like to find out for yourself just call the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission.

cropcircles 5 months, 2 weeks ago

So nice of Mason county to appreciate turners alleged integrity we in Walla Walla are not as convinced nor impressed and as for his law enforcement career no one can really verify it because its apparently sealed if im wrong please someone speak up and produce some evidence of a law enforcement record one could be proud of

downhillracer 5 months, 2 weeks ago

You don't speak for all of Walla Walla. A vast majority do appreciate the sheriff, his efforts, skills and integrity.

jace12 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not one of the vast majority.

scottyr 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, I'd lived in Walla Walla County for quite a spell, and now I've lived in Mason County for quite a spell. I appreciate Sheriff Salisbury's concern with the aspects of a Sheriff's duties in the State of Washington but, I'm afraid I find his letter's content more theater than substance.

mythoughts 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Please don't make statements unless they are facts you can show proof of. I would appreciate factual information.

rainman_MT 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Sheriff Turner and his department have made major and minor changes that have helped our community. The K-9 Program, Missing Children Alert Program, Search and Rescue, Inter-agency efforts on the Gangs in our Valley are all examples. I appreciate what he and his dedicated group have done and will do in the future.

campbell_rd 5 months, 2 weeks ago

As a volunteer I have worked with many law enforcement leaders in many states over the past several years. I can say without a doubt that Sheriff Turner is the best Sheriff I've ever had the pleasure of working with. One small example of his character is when I first met him, he introduced himself as "John" , later that I learned he was the Walla Walla Sheriff. To me this speaks volumes about the mans character. He has led this county's law enforcement as a true leader, bringing in some excellent (highly qualified) new deputies to tackle some of our biggest issues. Crime is down over the past few years, our communities are safer and I personally feel safer knowing that Sheriff Turner and his staff of excellent officers will be there if I need them. He is a compassionate leader who is respected and well liked in Walla Walla county and in the entire state. My family and myself throw our full support to his re-election and I hope you all do the same.

mythoughts 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Research the Sheriff candidates instead of listening to rumors and half truths. Here are some links to go to:

Link to the Sheriff Candidates Forum that was held in Touchet June 24, 2014.

Here are the links to the interviews done by the radio station KUJ. Just scroll down the page until you find each candidate (John Turner, Barry Blackman, Tom Cooper). http://kujam.com/common/page.php?id=52