Letter - Sheriff Turner is a skilled leader and manager

As concerned citizens living in Walla Walla County, my wife, Allison, and I are writing this letter to help inform the community at large about our personal experience in working with Sheriff John Turner.

We first worked with John on “Reducing Gang Membership Through Prevention” here in Walla Walla. During that two-year study we came to know John on a variety of levels. We now consider him to be a good friend and we will be supporting him in his re-election campaign to continue as our county sheriff.

In working with John we observed several very important qualities that simply cannot be ignored when considering anyone for the office of county sheriff.

First, John is able to analyze and research problems at a high level. John’s legal background assures that any solution will be within the standards and constraints of Washington state law.

John engages and communicates well with all agencies of our county, city and state government. John reaches out to all segments of our citizens without prejudice or judgment.

Secondly, Sheriff Turner is able to cultivate his ideas and has taken action to ensure our community is protected 24 hours of the day and seven days a week. He manages his office well, staying within budget guidelines year after year. Any management team would be envious of John’s skills as a leader and manager.

Lastly, John has demonstrated his ability to set and accomplish goals, measuring progress and reporting back to the community through his regularly scheduled Round Table discussions.

A prime example of his knowledge and skill all coming together to benefit our community is his dream of forming a Sheriff Foundation to raise money for a single K9 unit.

The result is incredible.

Not only did Sheriff Turner partner with the community to form the foundation, he was able to purchase two K9 units that are now on patrol. In a recent K9 unit competition, our Walla Walla County K9 units finished first and second in the state of Washington.

We are asking you, the citizens of Walla Walla County, to join us in supporting Sheriff Turner in his bid for re-election. Please cast your vote in the Aug. 5 primary for Sheriff Turner.

Guy E. Gingell

Comments

mythoughts 1 year ago

I heard that those K9's were purchased through donations not tax payer money. Is that correct?

Hersey 1 year ago

Yes, through donations made to the Sheriff's Foundation. No tax money used.

barracuda 1 year ago

RE: He manages his office well, staying within budget guidelines year after year. Any management team would be envious of John’s skills as a leader and manager.

Obviously this writer does not subscribe to the U-B. There are several links to other stories that I can refer to, but this one is the first I came across,

Written on June 4, 2013

"Sheriff’s Office overruns budget"

mythoughts 1 year ago

Barracuda, Yes, that was a story in the UB. But if you check with the Walla Walla County Auditor you will find that the Sheriff did NOT overrun his budget. I prefer to use sources that are reliable, unbiased, and give the whole story.

barracuda 1 year ago

Yes to UB is sketchy at times. One cannot believe every ones opinion, just because it is in print.

You are correct, I do need to contact the Auditors office. As well as talk to a few more Deputy's to find out the truth, although there are several differing opinions about the S.O. inside the ranks.

It is sad to say, almost all the UB readers worry about is what the editors of the UB prints in the hard copy headlines and they don't believe the writings of these letter to the editors and these anonymous nameless blogs. There a numerous articles in the UB in regards to the Sheriff and his style of leadership.

Also the "sketchy" writings of the printed paper helps guide the votes, just ask the WA-Hi bond supporters.

mythoughts 1 year ago

I agree that it seems many people believe what they read in the UB. It is sad to me. I think they have lost many subscriptions due to their biases. The most that we can do is give accurate information backed with where the truth can be found.
Yes, there are many negative articles in the UB regarding Sheriff Turner’s leadership but I have found that they always mention the same employees over and over. Ask yourself, why is that? Every place has those few that can't get along with management. We have all been there at one time or another. It is a personality clash as far as I am concerned. I am waiting for the Sheriff Candidate debates. I think this is where we get to know them and what they will bring to the office if they are elected. I haven’t heard anything about when they will be but I think everyone should attend these.

campbell_rd 1 year ago

As a volunteer I have worked with many law enforcement leaders in many states over the past several years. I can say without a doubt that Sheriff Turner is the best Sheriff I've ever had the pleasure of working with. One small example of his character is when I first met him, he introduced himself as "John" , later that I learned he was the Walla Walla Sheriff. To me this speaks volumes about the mans character. He has led this county's law enforcement as a true leader, bringing in some excellent (highly qualified) new deputies to tackle some of our biggest issues. Crime is down over the past few years, our communities are safer and I personally feel safer knowing that Sheriff Turner and his staff of excellent officers will be there if I need them. He is a compassionate leader who is respected and well liked in Walla Walla county and in the entire state. My family and myself throw our full support to his re-election and I hope you all do the same.

VinoTinto 1 year ago

The articles and the comments about Sheriff Turner seem scripted. Additionally, the frequency in which these articles run, every few days, doesn't seem organic, but more like a campaign by the sheriff's friends. I would probably do it too, but it's coming across as entirely phony. Hopefully after 4 years of service he's more qualified to do his job although a class in budgeting would not hurt the 2 million dollar man. I don't feel like Mr. Turner represents everyone equally, so if he is re-elected I would like to see more of an effort to be inclusive. I still may support him, but I do have concerns about Turner.

mythoughts 1 year ago

VinoTino The comments and letters are responses to inaccuracy and half-truths that are spread over and over.

I wish everyone would just stop and concentrate on the qualifications of the Sheriff candidates and stop trash talking. I don't think that will happen though.

mythoughts 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Research the Sheriff candidates instead of listening to rumors and half truths. Here are some links to go to:

Link to the Sheriff Candidates Forum that was held in Touchet June 24, 2014.

Here are the links to the interviews done by the radio station KUJ. Just scroll down the page until you find each candidate (John Turner, Barry Blackman, Tom Cooper). http://kujam.com/common/page.php?id=52