The Leonids are coming. During the late-night hours of Nov. 17, the Leonid meteor shower should peak with a rate of 15-20 meteors per hour at a dark site.
Every discipline has its secret handshakes, knowledge or rituals unique to the discipline that help distinguish those “in the know” from those outside the discipline.
An easy and fun way to get started in astronomical observation is meteor watching.
An annular solar eclipse occurs when the moon is at the more distant part of its earth orbit, passing between the sun and the earth so that its shadow crosses the surface of the earth.
The federal Corporation for National and Community Service named Whitman College to the 2012 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for the sixth time.
During the next few weeks the four brightest planets -- Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn -- will be visible during the night. These planets are brighter than the stars, with Venus being the brightest. This is a great time to go planet hunting.
Last month I explained the phases of the moon and asked you some questions, which I will answer at the end of this article.
If you look to the south-southeast just after dark, about halfway up from the horizon you will see what looks like a very bright star. It is on the border between the constellations of Pisces and Aries. But this is not a star; it is the planet Jupiter. Ea
- Letter - Need for Wa-Hi science building questioned 16 comments
- Attorney general: Heroin overdose deaths an ‘urgent and growing public health crisis’ 6 comments
- Letter - In science, it is verifiable results that matter 6 comments
- Confusion about ACA mandates needs fixing fast 2 comments
- Wa-Hi science building to go to voters 17 comments
- Letter - Where wolves live, tourism flourishes 6 comments